We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit in August

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, NY
reviews: 11
Visit in August

We are flying into San Jose in August and had a few questions. We are going to Yosemite for three nights but then have three nights before we fly out early on a Wednesday. There are 3 of us and I am looking to use Marriott points so I am considering several Residence Inns north of San Jose (Milpitas, Fremont or Newark - they are running specials). We wanted to spend one day in San Fran, one down near Monterey and probably one through NAPA. Any suggestion between these 3 hotels? What is the best way to go into San Fran for the day (car, bus or train)? And finally, how bad is the traffic from that direction to SJC early (~630am) on a Wednesday (that could help me choose the hotel. Any other suggestions also appreciated.

Thank you for any help.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 578
1. Re: Visit in August

I would probably opt for the Residence Inn Fremont.

1) All 3 are very close together.

2) All 3 are close to freeways. However, the Fremont location is closest to the Bart Station, which is an easy way to get into San Francisco. There is a large parking lot there (you do need to look a bit for a place as its the end of the line currently for the south bay - so very popular stop.). Its a great way to go to San Francisco for the day.

http://www.bart.gov/

3) 6:30 in the morning - traffic is good. Note: there is a fair amount of freeway constructoin going on - adding lanes, etc. As such, do take some caution in driving. The peak traffic is between 7:45 and 9:15 or so so you are ahead of the morning traffic. Although there is traffic, its usually moving. If its not, then it usually means there is an accident, so listen to a local radio station for a sig-a-lert.

4) Its sort of a toss up - none of these locations are "tourist" spots but can work. Napa is about a 90 minute drive; Monterey is about a 90 minute drive; and Bart is a good way to go to San Francisco. (Note; You can also drive - but do it after 10:00 in the morning due to bridge and freeway traffic. Its a lot faster to take BART in the morning. Do be sure you take the direct line into San Francisco. If for some reason you get on the wrong train, just get off at one of the stations between Fremont and Coliseum station and get on the direct line to San Francisco. The other one goes to Richmond, which is on the East Bay. The signs are good at the station to tell you which train is which.

Of course, if you can get a Marriott property in San Francisco for the San Francisco, Napa days all the better. But of the 3 above is my recommendation.

Albany, NY
reviews: 11
2. Re: Visit in August

Thank you for the information. One other question. Since we arrive at 4 pm on a working day and are heading straight to Yosemite, is there a better way to go due to traffic at that time? Thanks again.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 94
3. Re: Visit in August

"Since we arrive at 4 pm on a working day and are heading straight to Yosemite, is there a better way to go due to traffic at that time? Thanks again."

On a weekday, it's busy by 4pm and would take you about two hours to wade through thick traffic from SJC all the way to Tracy/Lathrop on I-5, especially on a Friday. 5-6pm will be the thickest. The roads should quiet down by about 7pm. Take a look at sigalert at the appropriate time of the day to preview how traffic moves.

Orange, California
reviews: 93
4. Re: Visit in August

If you are heading down 101 to 152 there are carpool lanes, but will still take some time. Then head over 152, once you get about 7 miles in you should be good. If your flight is delayed, or you just want to break up the drive a little I would recomend stopping in Gilroy for dinner or there are outlet malls right off the freeway in Gilroy as well this will help as the traffic will die down as it gets later.

5. Re: Visit in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 31, 2010