We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing off the pier

Which San Clemente hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
reviews: 30
Fishing off the pier

We will be in San Clemente for the month of February and were wondering if a 16-year old needs a fishing license to fish off the pier. I know you can rent fishing gear there. What about bait? Thanks for any help.

8 replies to this topic
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
1. Re: Fishing off the pier

Here's the information about fishing licenses: …ca.gov/licensing/…sportfishingfaqs.html

Yes your son will need a licence, but you can get a 10 day limited non-resident license rather than the annual license. They are available on-line.

Their is a bait and tackle shop on the pier.

Kansas
2. Re: Fishing off the pier

i was checking out the Oceanside forum and came across this posting:

Traditionally, fishing off a salt-water pier was one of the very rare exemptions from the mass of regulations and licensing in California.

Evidently a license is not required to fish off a pier.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
3. Re: Fishing off the pier

I don't know about San Clemente, but you don't need a licence to fish off the Municipal Wharf in Santa Cruz.

La Quinta, CA
reviews: 9
4. Re: Fishing off the pier

In CA you do not need a fishing licence to fish from the pier. However you do need one if fishing from the beach, bays, jetty, or a boat.

Hope that helps!

Kansas
5. Re: Fishing off the pier

Thanks.

reviews: 752
6. Re: Fishing off the pier

Have fun in San Clemente... it's a beautiful area of the coast! :)

San Clemente
reviews: 1
7. Re: Fishing off the pier

Regarding the San Clemente pier, there can be some great fishing there. You can get your bait at the convenience store across the street from the pier. I also like to use fresh bait and dig up my own sand crabs on the beach before heading out to the pier. Last summer when I was there a guy caught a huge 7 gill shark at the end of the pier. However, most of the fishing action is closer in. A favorite spot for halibut and leopard sharks is just past the lifeguard tower on the pier. Try to fish just past where the waves are breaking for best results. Indeed an awesome place - lots of fun!

Kansas
8. Re: Fishing off the pier

Thanks, TG. We will be staying in SC for the month of February, in the Pier Bowl.

Reply to: Fishing off the pier
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted