We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Clemente Campground

Which San Clemente hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
San Clemente Campground

How close are the trains to the beach in San Clemente? We’ll be camping at the State Beach and it looks like they are rather close. A member of our group has a son that is mentally but not physically challenged and he happens to love trains. The close proximity has her concerned and even though we’d all be keeping a close eye on him, she’s thinking of backing out. I would love for her to be able to go so I offered to drive us to a beach that she’d be more comfortable. I was thinking the pier area but it looks like the train is close there as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

2 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
1. Re: San Clemente Campground

The train runs right along the beach all thru San Clemente, including the pier area. But, near the pier, there is a fence between the beach and the train tracks.The train makes a stop at the pier, so the kid could get a close up look at the train, but stay behind the fence.

San Clemente campground is on the bluff above the train tracks.There is a trail to the beach that goes under the tracks.

It would be a shame if they backed out of the trip. But if you kept an eye on the kid, I doubt you would have any problems at all, even in the unfenced areas.

The next beach north with a fence separation would be Capistrano Beach Park, or Doheny state beach.

Reno, Nevada
2. Re: San Clemente Campground

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help! I can see where she's coming from and a fenced seperation should help ease her fears. I think your reply may have saved the trip :)

Thanks again!

Reply to: San Clemente Campground
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted