We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Clemente vs. San Diego Beach area for week -long trip

Which San Clemente hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland, California
San Clemente vs. San Diego Beach area for week -long trip

Can you help me to compare . I am from Bay Area and want to get away for 5-7 days to warmer beach area. In San Diego I have been looking at cottage-type rental in Coronado, Mission Beach and La Jolla. I ran across idea of San Clemente Beach as choice-- can you help me to see the difference. What can I do in San Clemente for that amount of time? Is it true beach has alot of tar? Are beaches better in San Diego? Thank you!

SoCal
reviews: 7
1. Re: San Clemente vs. San Diego Beach area for week -long trip

Are you going to spend all your time at the beach or will you do other activities? San Diego has a lot to offer and Coronado is great.

San Diego...
reviews: 29
2. Re: San Clemente vs. San Diego Beach area for week -long trip

I've never heard a claim that San Clemente has a lot of tar. Where did you read that?

Anyway for a week-long visit I would choose the San Diego area as there is much more to see and do than in San Clemente which is basically a beach town and little else that is close by.

If you can afford to stay in La Jolla, that would be my choice among the 3 you listed, Coronado second choice and Mission Beach last choice. Mission Beach is a bit of a zoo especially in the summer. There is so much to see and do right in La Jolla and much of it is free. Or, split the week between La Jolla and Coronado. Both are high-rent districts but if you can afford them, that's what I would do.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
3. Re: San Clemente vs. San Diego Beach area for week -long trip

Maybe look at the Carlsbad/Oceanside Pier, Encinitas and Solana Beach areas also if you are trying to find something on/near the beach in your budget.

And here are some photos of mine from last fall of the San Clemente Beach area, I never heard of any tar issues.

http://tinyurl.com/6s6fqrg

Midwest
reviews: 61
4. Re: San Clemente vs. San Diego Beach area for week -long trip

Take San Diego for sure

btw-30 years ago San Clemente had tar issues, right now I would say they have an erosion issue. The Dana Point Harbor breakwater will negatively influence the flow of sand up and down the So CA coast, and right now San Clemente is on the wrong side...but that means rocks not tar

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 7
5. Re: San Clemente vs. San Diego Beach area for week -long trip

I've lived in San Clemente 15 years and I have never seen tar.Its a fairly quiet town tourism wise. San Diego would have much more to do.

Lots of quiet uncrowded sand between SC state beach and Trestles.And further south below the cliffs at San Onofre State Beach.

Bettendorf, Iowa
reviews: 68
6. Re: San Clemente vs. San Diego Beach area for week -long trip

Our family of four stayed at the sea pointe inn carlsbad and loved it, easy drive to sd.

SoCal
reviews: 3
7. Re: San Clemente vs. San Diego Beach area for week -long trip

Hands down San Diego beaches are a better option for anyone visiting. San Clemente is a small residential town. The other beaches in San Diego that you mentioned are going to have a lot more to offer.

La Jolla is the prime locations but prices are also indicative of its popularity.

If you're thinking of staying as far north of San Clemente you might also want to consider Laguna Beach, another fun beach town with lots to offer for an extended stay.

San Clemente, CA
reviews: 5
8. Re: San Clemente vs. San Diego Beach area for week -long trip

San Clemente is a GREAT town, but I am not sure it is what you are looking for. It is a surf community. Very small town feel. I live here, and if I want to do anything other than surf (which I don't do) or golf (do that alot), there is not a whole lot else. Couple of good restaurants. A cool little bar/restaruant on the pier. A fun little muni.

Coronado gives you some great options. In some ways it is a small town, but right across the bridge is San Diego! Go to a padres game (great stadium, horrible team - right now-), maybe they play somebody you want to see. Just be aware that depending on WHEN, socal beaches can be cold, so pack some hoddies (we don't generally shot people in those). June and some times early July can be chilli on the water.

Saint Paul...
9. Re: San Clemente vs. San Diego Beach area for week -long trip

Getting married in San Clemente 7-14 ! We were there on Thanksgiving, LOVE IT ! It's not as busy as the other beaches, if you don't want that. Not sure when your planning on going but the weekend of 7-21 they have a large festival, oceanfest, so just a heads up....we will be there and can't wait!!!!

Pasadena, California
reviews: 14
10. Re: San Clemente vs. San Diego Beach area for week -long trip

At the beach in San Clemente for the 4th. No tar and the rocks seem to be gone this year. If you are into surfing, San Clemente has some of the best surfing beaches in the area. If you want more activity, I'd agree to stay in the San Diego area.

We love San Clemente as well but it is like our second home. It's probably our favorite beach in southern California.

Congratulations Tammy. I'm sure your pictures will be lovely this time of year.