We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Clemente Base

Which San Clemente hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Placid, NY
reviews: 7
San Clemente Base

We are a family of 3 that will be in Southern California for 10 days at the end of March, beginning of April. Instead of traveling around, we would like to have a base to explore the Disneyland Parks and San Diego. Would the San Clemente area work or are we better off just splitting up between Anaheim and San Diego?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: San Clemente Base

As someone who visits that area at the insistance of our kids and we love it too, I would suggest splitting up the time between the two areas.

First time we went there we stayed at one of the Disney hotels. If you would like to do that great, if not the forum has many suggestions on places that are walking distance or very close by. Subsequent to that we prefer staying in Orange County at a beach and driving in.

San Diego has a different feel for it and is a lovely city and i suggest you enjoy that place by staying there.

just my humble opinion

Edited: 3:02 pm, December 12, 2011
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
2. Re: San Clemente Base

It really depends on which you hate more,driving back and forth to San Diego and Disneyland from San Clemente, OR changing hotels.

I think it would make more sense to change hotels,especially when you'll be in California for 10 days.

IF you tell folks your budget/preferences we can make suggestions.

San Diego has a lot to do/see and the theme parks in and around Anaheim will also be fun for you. Give each their time and enjoy the differences!

Midwest
reviews: 62
3. Re: San Clemente Base

an another option...

Since I really dont like Anaheim, I might consider splitting it up this way. San Clemente as a base for your days in OC, and another base for the San Diego area

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
4. Re: San Clemente Base

If you have small children, I would split your time between Anaheim and San Diego rather than drive long distances each day. San Clemente is lovely but it is 45 minutes from Disneyland and about the same time from San Diego.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
5. Re: San Clemente Base

OK, the Anaheim is great for a base, but I think splitting up the trip is a good idea, and not staying in San Clemente.

There are plenty of different types and styles of Hotels/Motels in the Anaheim/Garden Grove area with decent pricing due to the competition.

Also, there is plenty to do other than Disneyland (a typical visitors spend 3 days just at the Disneyland Resort (2 different Theme Parks) in the area, such as Knott's berry Farm, Three Different Dinner Shows, Museums, Major Sports venues, lots of great shopping, and if you want to visit a beach, lots to choose from with a reasonable drive. Here is a link to what is offered in the area.

www.visittheoc.com

If you are interested in LEGOLAND in Carlsbad (Northern San Diego County) I would plan to do that driving between the two cities, leave early from one, spend the day at LEGOLAND and then arrive at the other in the evening.

As for San Diego, of course, SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo are the most well known ones, but there is much more.

www.sandiego.org

I would look at what type of things you would want to do at each area, and then do the split, many folks would go 6 or 7 nights in the Anaheim Area, and the rest in the main part of the city of San Diego.

So. Cal
reviews: 20
6. Re: San Clemente Base

I agree with others- split up your time to avoid the hassle of adding commute time. I would only stay in Anaheim during the time you are at the Amusement Parks. IF you want to experience any of the OC coast I'd pick up and move when you're done with Disneyland etc.

Darkbeers suggestion to hit Legoland on the way to San Diego is sound advice.

Bettendorf, Iowa
reviews: 68
7. Re: San Clemente Base

We did this trip 4 years ago with our 7 and 5 year old. Stayed in Carlsbad and had a blast. Easy drive to San diego. Coming back this year and staying in San Clemente. I think we are going to do more LA activities this time around.

8. Re: San Clemente Base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, March 18, 2014