We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sacramento Airport Parking Garage Crime

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Sacramento Airport Parking Garage Crime

I am posting this to try to save others the frustration my wife and I experienced when our car was burglarized in the parking garage at SMF (Sacramento Airport)... My wife parked in the garage for a two and a half day business trip to San Diego. When she returned, she found our 2010 Prius had been burglarized (shattered side window) and the two driver's side air bags (steering wheel and knee) had been stolen. She also had other items stolen (probably an opportunity grab after they got the air bags) which have caused us alot of headache recovering from the losses. When she returned from the trip and saw the damage, she called 911 and several Sheriffs came into the garage to investigate the crime. The long and short of it is that she was told that the Sacramento Airport is run by the City of Sacramento and that they have insufficient cameras and no security patrols even for their $17 a day premium parking garage and that the Economy parking only has a total of two cameras for the entire huge lot. When you park there, you are just lucky if your car doesn't get broken into. From now on, if we do have to leave a car there, we will bring our oldest car with a steering wheel theft deterrent. Modern cars like the Prius are sitting ducks for airbag thieves. Good Luck to anyone who parks there and shame on SMF for their disregard for parking security.

5 replies to this topic
Sacramento
reviews: 10
1. Re: Sacramento Airport Parking Garage Crime

I'm very sorry you had this experience. I park in that garage regularly and have never had any issue. Of course, my newest car is 15 years old, so that might have something to do with it. A suggestion if you have to park there in the future: Since the 3rd floor goes to Terminal A and the 5th floor goes to B, they can get pretty crowded. We tend to park on the 4th floor near the elevators with the theory that the further you are in the middle of the floor, the less foot traffic there will be. But everyone has to get to the stairs or elevator, so it may be safer to park closer to the elevators on a less popular floor.

Concord, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 110
2. Re: Sacramento Airport Parking Garage Crime

Wanted to thank you for posting this as it will probably mostly benefit/impact people like me, who live half-way between Sacramento and San Francisco and have to make a decision between SMF and SFO (or OAK). Even though it takes me half the time to get to SMF than SFO, I never travel out of there, due to not wanting to leave my car overnight. Anywhere in a large garage.

It's really too bad, for you and others, as when I go there to pick up relatives, the garage is nice and clean and easy to navigate.

Most travelers here are probably renting a car and not leaving their vehicle but I'd sure use SMF for travel, if I felt safe in leaving my car. Sounds like the city might be missing something.

Good luck in following up and sorry you had to go through this. Regards to your wife. Any of us who have been victims of auto break-ins anywhere can sympathize. No fun.

sacramento ca
reviews: 1
3. Re: Sacramento Airport Parking Garage Crime

that's horrible. we park there all the time and leave our cars (both newer luxury cars) and have never had any trouble..

so sorry to hear that

Sacramento...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Sacramento Airport Parking Garage Crime

Welcome to SACRAMENTO. i have had THREE catalytic converters stolen from my Tacoma at my house. Sick of this city and poor policing; Call the police and get, "Fill out a report online..."

San Francisco...
5. Re: Sacramento Airport Parking Garage Crime

Sorry to hear about your theft. Just to set the record straight SMF (Sacramento Airport) is run by the County of Sacramento

http://www.sacairports.org/

sacramento.aero/scas/…general_information

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento_International…

This is only important because if this is going to get fixed the right organization needs to be engaged .

Reply to: Sacramento Airport Parking Garage Crime
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted