We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for one night?

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Where to stay for one night?

Hi, im roadtripping from Vegas to SF and planning to stay the final night in Sacramento after visiting Lake Tahoe and Yosemite, can somewhere advise where to stay in Sacramento?

I've seen the Quality Inn on 15th street as reasonable etc hotel, is this a good/safe location for restaurants & to get a vibe of the city?

I need to be in SF by 11:30am the next day, planning to go via the GGB enroute to SF, is Sacramento to SF doable in say 2-3 hours including a 30min stop to check out the bridge etc?

19 replies to this topic
London, United...
11. Re: Where to stay for one night?

Wow thanks for the restaurant recommendations, they all sounds good to me, just have to decide when I get there what to eat now :-)

Old Sac appears to be a day place so wont stay there and will go with my original plan of the hotel on 15th, may swing by if I get time to see it, looks interesting in the pics, would have liked to check out the museum as my nephew loves trains so would have enjoyed seeing the pics I'd have taken, maybe next time im in the US...

Thanks for the sights suggestions, im getting plenty of exercise on this trip, in Vegas then roadtripping via DV, Yosemite & Tahoe (Sac) couple of days in SF then flying to NYC before heading home, gonna be dead on my feet no doubt by the end of it lol

Im definitely thinking of an early night after dinner & the early start you suggest thanks... I always try to come back as no point asking a question if not following up with a few more, people on here have been great with suggestions for hotels, restaurants & things to see & do for most of my trip, really appreciate the help and advice.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 33
12. Re: Where to stay for one night?

If possible try to fit in a quick stroll along the waterfront in Old Sac anytime of day. There are several old trains that you can get upclose and personal with even though the museum is closed.

Also take a walk around the Capitol.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 33
13. Re: Where to stay for one night?

Forgot to mention this but I hope you are aware that you need to pay your toll for the GGB online before crossing the bridge. There are no toll booths for you to throw money at anymore, it's all automated.

London, United...
14. Re: Where to stay for one night?

Well i've booked the Quality inn thanks & i'll definitely try & checkout the Old Sac Waterfront, where are the trains exactly, be nice to take a couple of pics... Do you mean walk around the city in general or is there a specific area I should wander around? Any good/interesting things to see & take pics of?

Yes im aware of the GGB toll, going to pay that before I leave in the morning thanks :-)

Martinez, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 94
15. Re: Where to stay for one night?

I'll let TJ comment as to what he had in mind, but you're arriving late and might not have time to do everything. However, it you arrive in town by around 7-or so:

Drive into Old Sacramento and go to the river. You will see the old riverboat (the Delta King). It's berthed there, as a hotel/restaurant, but it used to ply the Sacramento River in the early1900's, doing transportation and commerce back and forth to San Francisco. (Special to me, as my ancestors were riverboat captains on the river ---- not on that boat though....on the commerce boats).

It would make for captivating photographs, if you can get some nice light (sunset?) on the river.

Nearby, there are rails and some old trains. Also photogenic. The California State Railroad Museum, to the north of the riverboat, will be closed when you get into town. The area is scenic though, with its wood sidewalks and cobblestones and the Delta King and train/station.

After you wander there for awhile (if you get into town by sunset), go back to check into the Quality Inn and then wander Midtown, near your hotel, amidst a wonderful area of restaurants --- of your choice.

The State Capital building is a beautiful old structure, worth some pictures, but that might be for an early walk in the morning.

It's difficult to swamp you with suggestions, what with you arriving later in the evening (and leaving early in the morning), wanting to eat (in a very good area for food-lovers) ---- needing to get going in the morning, to do what you want to do, over the GG Bridge and checking out the Headlands. What a day that will be!

It all takes time and you don't have very much time. Unfortunately (being a lifelong roadtripper myself), your trip sounds like tons of fun but something will have to give (sight-wise and time-wise).

There is a ton to see and not much time, so we're trying to help but you'll probably have to decide which is the most important to you. If you're interested in the Old Sac area around the river though, getting there around sunset to take some photos with "intriguing light angles" (I used to be a professional photographer ages ago) might provide some interesting shots of the old riverboat and the river and the trains. Just not a lot of nightlife down there, which is why we confirmed your choice to stay in Midtown.

Good luck. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Edited: 8:34 pm, May 04, 2014
London, United...
16. Re: Where to stay for one night?

Thanks again Marly for the info, there's some great ideas for me to look into fitting in. Ideally I'd like to be in town by 7ish for sunlight reasons but not going to rush if I cant make it.. All suggestions welcome as the more I have the more ideas it give me to pick & choose what I can do etc, its a shame im only going to be passing through really as the city does sound interesting. I definitely plan to check out Old Sac and the riverboat and trains etc, hopefully before sunset.

I know im fitting a lot in but I figured I'll plan as much as I can and will drop things as I go along depending on the time etc that way I know I'll have seen the great things and if I see the other stuff too, even better :-)

reviews: 58
17. Re: Where to stay for one night?

Just wanted to be sure you are aware that, if you are coming across at Vallejo to U.S. 101 south, and then into SF from across the Golden Gate Bridge, you will be on the other side of SF from where you are returning your rental car. You will be driving through SF on surface streets for the most part; within the City US 101 is not a freeway except in very limited locations. So even that last part of the trip can be a 1/2 hour to get from the Bridge into downtown SF if the traffic is bad.

Hence I concur with the idea that you leave lots of time available.

new hampshire
reviews: 37
18. Re: Where to stay for one night?

Did you think of leaving rental car in Sacramento and taking train into San Francisco? Not sure what time it leaves at night but it might be worth dropping off rental car, taking train into San Francisco and then doing a short tour before your 11:30 timeline. Sounds like a lot of traffic you'll meet in the morning from Sacramento to San Francisco! Or for that matter you could leave your car in Tahoe and take the train to. I loved taking the train..no worries about traffic etc.

London, United...
19. Re: Where to stay for one night?

Thanks for the post but I made this trip back in May (was super hot 98F) and it all worked out fine although I didnt get to see much of Sacramento at all which was a shame.

I left around 9am, hit some traffic, but made it to SF, checked out Marin Headlands and the GGB, the fog made a welcome visit so got some amazing pics and dropped the car off on time including a diversion via Lombard Street.

I definitely will go back to Sac at somepoint (see the train museum and old town etc) as would like to visit the area again, see some more of Lake Tahoe, visit Reno and do some more treking around Yosemite etc..

Reply to: Where to stay for one night?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted