We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from San Francisco

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 53
Day trip from San Francisco

I asked a question about this in the SF forum and basically got told to stay away from Sacramento and that there are much better day trips to take. I live 5 minutes from beaches ( arguably better beaches than California ) and 45 minutes from wineries ( also arguably better ) so am looking for something a bit different.

I've decided to probably hire a car and drive somewhere. In your opinion is Sacramento worth a day trip. I'll be travelling with my family ( youngest being a 10 year old boy ) ? I have all day as I fly from SFO to NY at midnight. Anything else to see on the way or around Sacramento ?

Thanks in advance.

13 replies to this topic
Fritz Creek, Alaska
reviews: 58
11. Re: Day trip from San Francisco

Having spent a good part of my life in Sacramento I feel it is a neat place to visit. Used to enjoy going to the Monterey area, but recently they have developed an attitude problem there. Carmel would be better, Driving into the Sierra foothills is also enjoyable. To bad you couldn''t continue to New York out of Sacramento (no direct flgiths; we used American Airlines via DFW.

Wilton
reviews: 1
12. Re: Day trip from San Francisco

When are you visiting? Coloma is a bit outside of Sac and is really a neat little Gold Rush town. They also offer class III white water rafting on the south fork of the American River during the summer, which you and your son may enjoy. The zoo and William Land Park are also neat and they have Shakespeare at night in the summer. We enjoy our warm summer nights in Sac.

Lewiston, California
reviews: 63
13. Re: Day trip from San Francisco

Sutter's Fort is well worth a couple of hours.

Reply to: Day trip from San Francisco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted