We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another reason to visit Sacramento.

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 31
Another reason to visit Sacramento.

My wife and I just saw the latest production of the Music Circus at the Wells Fargo Pavilion.

http://www.calmt.com/index.cfm?page=428076

Showboat was incredible! Somehow this production company attracts the highest caliber of talent. The female lead, playing the part of Magnolia, was Jennifer Hope Wills whom we saw on Broadway as Christine Daae in Phantom of the Opera. The male lead, actor Ron Bohmer, has played the part of the Phantom on Broadway. Phillip Boykin, a Tony nominee for his part in Porgy and Bess, played Joe. I can still hear him singing 'Old Man River' in my head.

The unique thing about the Wells Fargo Pavilion is that it is a Theater-in-the-Round, there is no backstage. The action happens in the middle of the audience. There are only 21 circular rows of seats. So really there is not a bad seat in the house. It was quite an experience to be in this intimate of a setting with this caliber of talent.

Unfortunately, today is the last for this production of Showboat.

Fortunately, there are three more productions coming up this summer.

Sugar (taken from 'Some Like it Hot')

The King and I

Chicago

Come see a show and enjoy some of the great restaurants in our town.

Davis, California
reviews: 26
1. Re: Another reason to visit Sacramento.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to check it out!

Martinez, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 88
2. Re: Another reason to visit Sacramento.

Thanks for the reminder, tj. We're going to see "Chicago" in August. It's an awesome theater and important in Sacramento lore and art/culture.

I miss the TENT (which made it look more like a "circus") ---- we used to go every year back in the old days in the 60's and 70's. It was a tradition.

One of my most indelible memories was when we went to see CAMELOT under the tent many years back (40 some odd years ago, plus or minus) and the show was starting late and we wondered what was going on. After a few minutes, the manager (director, or whoever) came out and told a packed crowd that the star actress (who was playing Guinevere) had suffered a miscarriage and they had to send to Los Angeles to get another Guinevere.

We all waited about 90 minutes (past the time it was supposed to start). The musical was the most spectacular thing I've ever seen. You would have thought Guinevere and Sir Lancelot had known each other their entire lives. Incredible. There was NO indication that the actress had never seen the stage OR never rehearsed with her fellow actor. I'm still amazed at how they all pulled that off.

I agree ---- the quality at the Music Circus is top-notch always. Just go. We go to theater in San Francisco and NYC fairly regularly and there is no loss of quality theater in Sacramento, with this production company.

www.sacramentomusiccircus.com

Edited: 11:44 pm, July 16, 2013
Dublin, California
reviews: 30
3. Re: Another reason to visit Sacramento.

We had season tickets when we lived in Sacto, that was before the new theatre. Yes watching broadway shows in 100F temperature with fans for the cooling.

Martinez, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 88
4. Re: Another reason to visit Sacramento.

Don't forget "the Delta Breeze," TSS. ;=))

I haven't been to the new theater either so looking forward to that treat. Also, with "the breeze" (and being young when we went there every summer), I can't remember the heat being a problem in the old circus tent. Hey, it's a dry heat! <wink>

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
5. Re: Another reason to visit Sacramento.

The old tent was a sunken theatre. The place was heated all day long with 100F temps. Then they stuff hundreds of people inside, cooled with large fans. I was surprised that not more performers fainted.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 31
6. Re: Another reason to visit Sacramento.

I guess I missed that part of Sacto lore.

I have only experienced the new theater with its very effective AC...needed a sweater last Saturday night.

We saw a production of Les Mis there a couple years ago and thought, 'Wow, that was better than the big production we saw in SF'. After reading the playbill we realised why. The two lead actors were principal leads in Les Mis on Broadway for something like 10,000 performances.

My neice is in theater in Seattle and came down to audition here. She said that the Sacramento Music Circus has a reputation as being a company that top Broadway performers love to come work with....Who knew.

We saw 'Crazy for You' in London and it was kinda ..meh. Saw it a few years ago at Wells Fargo and...wow! Incredible!

7. Re: Another reason to visit Sacramento.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 20, 2014