We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterfall hiking near Sacramento - Emigrant Gap Falls help

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sacramento, USA
reviews: 21
Waterfall hiking near Sacramento - Emigrant Gap Falls help

Hello,

We are looking to drive 1-2 hours from Sacramento to hike to a waterfall (preferably one you can swim in too). I found a reference to Emigrant Gap Falls, but I have not found a lot of details as to how to get there, trail and type of swimming. Can anyone help or suggest other places?

Thanks,

Grace

12 replies to this topic
Concord, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 112
1. Re: Waterfall hiking near Sacramento - Emigrant Gap Falls help

Fascinating question, Grace. Can't help you now (tied up with personal family business) but I loved your question as I went to Girl Scout Camp for two weeks back in the 50's at a lake at Emigrant Gap so I sure hope someone who has recent knowledge will answer you. I remember those two weeks as if they were yesterday. Gorgeous country.

Since your profile says you are from Sacramento, you probably already know that.

Good luck getting an answer but since this forum isn't highly active, I hope you are consulting other sources, such as through REI stores (lots of mountaineers/hikers/backpackers there). When we used to do waterfalls (sometimes those which were iced over) or backcountry trips, we usually headed to REI or some of the mountaineering places in the SF Bay Area. REI tends to attract people who are doing what you plan.

California
reviews: 12
2. Re: Waterfall hiking near Sacramento - Emigrant Gap Falls help

Emigrant Gap Waterfalls is a 1 mile multiple route trail located near Soda Springs, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until August.

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
3. Re: Waterfall hiking near Sacramento - Emigrant Gap Falls help

That's off highway 80, so 2 hrs or less to Soda Springs area and off the Norden exit

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 3
4. Re: Waterfall hiking near Sacramento - Emigrant Gap Falls help

You can also consider Horsetail Falls. The trail head is off highway 50, a little over 1 hour drive from Sacramento. The hike itself is fairly easy. I have seen people swimming in the pools, but it may not be recommended - (too cold, basically water from melted ice, if you are not careful accidents can occur).

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 33
5. Re: Waterfall hiking near Sacramento - Emigrant Gap Falls help

Another option on Hwy. 50 is Twin Bridges. The trail follows near a river with several small falls. I wouldn't swim here though as the water must be very cold and there is a swift current.

Orinda, California
6. Re: Waterfall hiking near Sacramento - Emigrant Gap Falls help

Hi - Sorry just saw this and not sure if you ever made it to Emigrant Gap (North Fork of the North Fork) falls. To get there, take the Emigrant Gap exit of I 80, turn right off the freeway then right again onto Emigrant Gap Road. Follow the paved road about 8 miles (road name changes to Texas Hill) down into Fulda Creek, over a bridge, up over a pass and down into a valley again. You will find the North Fork of the North Fork campgrounds. Ask anyone in the campgrounds how to get to the falls (about a 1/2 mile h. ike from the back of the campground area). It can get steep to get down below the falls where you can swim in a nice cold pool of water. The falls are worth it though - perhaps you can go next summer.

Orinda, California
7. Re: Waterfall hiking near Sacramento - Emigrant Gap Falls help

Hi - Sorry just saw this and not sure if you ever made it to Emigrant Gap (North Fork of the North Fork) falls. To get there, take the Emigrant Gap exit of I 80, turn right off the freeway then right again onto Emigrant Gap Road. Follow the paved road about 8 miles (road name changes to Texas Hill) down into Fulda Creek, over a bridge, up over a pass and down into a valley again. You will find the North Fork of the North Fork campgrounds. Ask anyone in the campgrounds how to get to the falls (about a 1/2 mile h. ike from the back of the campground area). It can get steep to get down below the falls where you can swim in a nice cold pool of water. The falls are worth it though - perhaps you can go next summer.

8. Re: Waterfall hiking near Sacramento - Emigrant Gap Falls help

Check out Fairy Falls near Beale AFB. My boyfriend and I just visited this waterfall over the weekend and it was beautiful! Go early and you'll have the whole place to yourself.

sactownmag.com/October-November-2011/…

sacramento, USA
reviews: 21
9. Re: Waterfall hiking near Sacramento - Emigrant Gap Falls help

Thank you folks for keeping the post active. I'm going to check out all the places referenced. We love trying new hikes and falls.

Loomis, California
10. Re: Waterfall hiking near Sacramento - Emigrant Gap Falls help

Just got back from the old swimming hole with the kids and grand kids. Has not changed in the many years I've been going there. My father said he first took me there in1946 though i don't remember as I was only one year old. I am now almost 70 and happy to say that four generations of our family have enjoyed the old swimming hole and falls and will for many years to come. When I was in my childhood we never saw anyone else and kind of considered it our own little hideaway. It is now enjoyed by many And if you get the oppurtunity I strongly suggest you check it out.

Reply to: Waterfall hiking near Sacramento - Emigrant Gap Falls help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted