We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking disstance to Discovrery Park

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Walking disstance to Discovrery Park

Hi

Hubby and i will be going to a concert in Sept.at Discovery Park.Looking for a nice yet close hotel to stay in for the night.

Thanks Shari

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 34
1. Re: Walking disstance to Discovrery Park

None of the hotels near Discovery Park would be anywhere near the top of my 'places to stay list'.

The area is fine during the day but at night it basically becomes a homeless camp. There are a few hotels / motels in the area. You should read the TA reviews of each to decide if any are ok for you.

Is there any reason you don't want to drive to the park?

How far is 'walking distance' to you? There are options near Old Sac depending on your budget. Old Sacramento and Discovery Park are connected by a good paved bike trail along the river. Also, If you have bikes, or want to rent them, that will open up your options.

Who's playing?

Edited: 7:31 am, June 08, 2013
Martinez, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 103
2. Re: Walking disstance to Discovrery Park

As tripjunky said, the area of Jibboom and Richards Blvd has never been known as a "nice" area in which to stay or walk. Industrial area, etc. It is walking distance to Discovery Park however and some chains like Comfort Inn, Best Western and Super 8 have facilities right there. The main draw for them however, is not that they are walking distance from the park but that they tend to be cheaper and they are "freeway close," being practically underneath Interstate 5. Also, there are some restaurants in that general area.

I notice you said "nice" and "close" but you didn't say "budget" and you didn't mention what time the concert would be letting out but, again, if part of your plan was to walk back to your hotel in the dark, I wouldn't recommend that. I've stayed in the area several times (mostly years ago) ---- but did stay at the Governors Inn at 210 Richards Blvd. next to a large police facility about 18 months ago ---- and I wouldn't have even walked to a nearby restaurant at night, and that would have been a lot closer than the park.

If you truly wanted to be "close," the Governor's Inn was much "nicer" than I expected (I was only staying overnight so was there for only about 10 hours just to freshen up and sleep) but I did worry about my car in the lot overnight (except the police facility next door was comforting). There is no ambience to the surrounding area. I think I gave the place a 4-circle as everything was clean and updated and the staff was friendly. Exceeded my expectations of a hotel in that area.

Good tip from tripjunky on reading the reviews of the several hotels nearby as some people (a group of large men) might not be intimidated by a walk in the dark in the area but, unless you're used to urban/industrial "grit," you would most likely not want to be walking in the area in the dark. It's not a residential or bustling city-type commercial environment. In good conscience, I wouldn't recommend anyone who didn't know the area to try it.

Have fun at the concert. Was it the "avoiding the parking situation" that motivated you to want to be close-by?

california
3. Re: Walking disstance to Discovrery Park

Thanks Marly S F and TripJunky

The concert is the Monster Aftershock,Korn,Shinedown,Volbeat,Papa Roach and the list goes on.We were hoping to avoid the parking nightmare Im sure that will happen.and not have to worry about drinking and driving.It starts at 11am till 10pm,so it sounds like we wont want to be walking in that aera.Thanks again for all the info got to luv tripadvisor :}

Shari

Martinez, California
Destination Expert
4. Re: Walking disstance to Discovrery Park

Whoa. That's quite a line-up. Sure can't blame you for wanting to avoid a parking mess, which happens at almost any venue.

Like I said, I can personally recommend the rooms at the Governors Inn, having stayed there within the past 18 months, so you would probably be comfortable there and IF (that part I don't know) you could get a cab back, at least it wouldn't cost much. That's the good news. ;=))

If you're wanting to enjoy a little of Sacramento, there are definitely better hotels in the downtown area (I'm still focusing on your word "nice") but you would either have to drive (facing the parking mess) or the cab ride will be more expensive.

Did the hotel reviews help you decide? Always good to know what helps people make their travel decisions.

Have fun!

PS to edit: Just thought of something (and don't have time this second to check, with a short edit, but do the concert promoters say anything about transportation?....like cabs available?)

Edited: 4:29 pm, June 09, 2013
california
5. Re: Walking disstance to Discovrery Park

Thanks MarlySF after reading hotel reviews and yes they do help.Im going to take your advise and stay at the Govemors Inn.

Havent been able to find anything on transportation,but since the concerts a couple months away will have time to keep looking.

Thanks Shari

Martinez, California
Destination Expert
6. Re: Walking disstance to Discovrery Park

As mentioned, there is a police facility right next door (not a lot of "ambience" but it's something that might make you feel safe).

I'll be in the area tomorrow so will drop by that hotel and talk to the staff about things like transportation to that concert or other activities at Discovery Park. Sometimes the best information is obtained face to face. Will get back to you as to what I find out.

Martinez, California
Destination Expert
7. Re: Walking disstance to Discovrery Park

Update for today ----- since I was driving by anyway so stopped by the Governors Inn.

Had a nice talk with the desk clerk (Pang). She also says (thanks tripjunky) that they don't recommend people who stay there walk in the dark. It's literally right under the I-5 and Richards Blvd. intersection. McDonalds is adjacent and Chevron (with a little market) is across the street and Denny's is kitty-corner.

When I drove in, I noticed what tripjunky said. There were several homeless people with carts wandering around nearby (this was at 3pm today) and there were several men sitting on the curb at the Chevron. Maybe trying to get a day-job? Don't know. But, as we said above, walking in daylight is OK ---- even the hotel staff (today) says to not walk around at night. It's on a very busy intersection below a major Interstate.

The GOOD NEWS is ---- the lobby is still as nice as I remembered from months ago (expansive, computer in the lobby, lovely furniture ---- didn't look like a cheap motel at all) and the staff is still friendly and very helpful. They proudly display their "Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence for 2012." They deserve it as so many travelers have been pleasantly surprised at the hotel itself (apart from the location). I was equally surprised when I stayed there in 2012.

Recommendation for guests at the Governors Inn is to contact "Dave's Taxi" at 916-879-6000. When I told them you might need a cab from the concert, they said ----- make sure anyone calling Dave's Taxi tells them EXACTLY where they will be. The issue is that if a taxi driver was wandering around looking for you, someone else would want to get a ride also. It could be confusing to the driver in knowing who to pick up.

The staff at Governors Inn seems quite alert to such considerations. If you stay there, talk to them in advance (when you check in) and maybe they could give you a tip as to where you could meet a taxi, and not have the entire concert crowd swamp them?

I told them which concert you were going to and that it was out at 10pm. Bottom-line ---- the hotel recommends you NOT WALK back in the dark and they also recommend you use "Dave's Taxi" at the number above.

Hope that helps and have a good time.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 34
8. Re: Walking disstance to Discovrery Park

Having a number for a taxi is a good idea. If there is a bizillion people walking from the concert with you, you may be ok....as long as you have one of those flashlights that doubles as a night stick and you keep you street smarts sober. I would not walk it with just the two of you.

The reason there are so many homeless in that area is there is a Union Gospel Mission around the corner as well as Loaves and Fishes and Salvation Army.

It is so nice of Marly to stop on your behalf...TAers are so cool!

Martinez, California
Destination Expert
9. Re: Walking disstance to Discovrery Park

Hey, tripjunky ---- it's my (volunteer) job. haha.

No, seriously, I really was nearby today so it only took an extra 15 minutes to drop by the Governor's Inn. Not a problem to help a fellow poster, as sometimes you can find out info when going in person.

I was curious also, with this thread, as to the ambience of the corners of Bercut and Richards and I-5 in mid-day since I'd been there in the dark when I stayed there in early 2012. As you well know, it's a warehouse area and not exactly the best part of Sacramento. I remember the old days when I was a kid. Pretty run down area. Bercut-Richards was an old cannery, I think. Tomatoes?

The deal with the cab company is ---- if Shari and hubby are staying at the Governors Inn, THAT is the only taxi company the staff of the hotel recommends so it would probably be a good idea to use them, if they are staying there. It amazes me that the Governors Inn is so high up on the Tripadvisor List of Best Hotels in Sac (due to the location) but it speaks to how nice the property is.....once you get inside.

Again: Dave's Taxi. 916-879-6000. I don't work for Dave's Taxi (first time I heard of them was this afternoon) but the desk people at the Governors Inn only recommend them (I tried to get other referrals but that was the only one). Must be pretty good. ;=))

If Shari and hubby are staying at that hotel, despite the oddball (non) ambience of the area, I think they will enjoy the interior and the rooms. I'd go back.

california
10. Re: Walking disstance to Discovrery Park

Hi

Marly you are awesome for getting so much info for me.Have wrighten down Daves taxi #,great to have that option.Have talked another couple into going, they will like the taxi ideal.again thank you so much for going that extra mile:} and tripjunky for your time as well.

Have a Great Summer Shari