We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise options

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 24
Cruise options

Is there a port in sacramento where I can take a cruise for a couple of nights?

9 replies to this topic
Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 41
1. Re: Cruise options

San Francisco is the nearest major cruise port

http://www.sfport.com/index.aspx?page=157

Edited: 8:03 pm, April 28, 2013
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
2. Re: Cruise options

There are houseboat rentals not too far from Sacramento. You could cruise the Delta for a few days if you wanted.

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
3. Re: Cruise options

I have no personal experience with this company. You may want to check them out:

dreamsacramento.com/sacramento-cruises.html

The Hornblower also does a dinner cruise, but no overnight. See Yelp review:

yelp.com/biz/…20cruise

So.Cal
reviews: 9
4. Re: Cruise options

Years ago there was a 'river boat' type of cruise that worked the delta waters between San Francisco and Sacramento, but I believe they've been gone for many years. If you're looking for large cruise ships, the only option would be San Francisco. Very short cruises out of San Francisco are very rare - possibly a few repositioning cruises heading to Alaska at the beginning of the season. Go to one of the large online cruise travel agencies and do a search, using San Francisco as the embarkation port and specifying short cruises and see what comes up.

Other than that, the house boat rental might be an option, but probably only in our summer months. They are strictly a 'do it yourself' experience in terms of handling the boat, entertainment, cooking, etc. - not at all a "cruise" experience.

Sacramento...
reviews: 6
5. Re: Cruise options

I don't think Sacramento has what you are looking for. There are no overnight cruises. The river really isnt that big or wide. Overnight cruises are usually out of San Diego, Los Angeles, Long Beach or San Francisco. Sacramento does have a few hour tour river trips, but nothing overnight or fancy.

Australia
reviews: 24
6. Re: Cruise options

Thank you, I was hoping for something like holland America from San Fran to LA

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
7. Re: Cruise options

Why post in the Sacramento forum then? You might want to try the cruise forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.…

However, there are no cruises from SF to LA that let you disembark without first docking in a foreign port.

reviews: 58
8. Re: Cruise options

Heads up -- Hornblower (referred to in an earlier reply) has left the Sacramento market and moved its ship back down to the SF Bay Area. Of course, it was a dinner cruise deal for several hours, we have never had a several night cruise based here (at least not since the actual Gold Rush of 1849 when lots of ships did the cruise from SF to here and back).

Martinez, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 81
9. Re: Cruise options

Not completely true --- my mom and her mom used to take the Delta King/Queen (she couldn't remember which but she and her memories were honored in a ceremony at the Delta King in 2009, with a lot of other oldsters' river cruising tales) to San Francisco and back in the early 30's. She reports it as a two-day overnight trip.

Not what the OP is looking for, obviously, but there has been cruising on the Sacramento River more recently than the Gold Rush.

Also, my grandfather was a river boat captain on the Sacramento River-- transporting commercial freight up and down (back-and-forth) the Sacramento through the Delta and to San Francisco, through the 1930's. They often took on passengers but -- again --- it wasn't a cruise ship but it was definitely way after 1849 (in the interests of accuracy).

Reply to: Cruise options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted