We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport location

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Iberia...
reviews: 27
Airport location

Would like to know what area is the airport in? We need a hotel the night before our flight and wanted something pretty close and safe. Any ideas?

California
reviews: 12
1. Re: Airport location

Sac airport is north of Sac on I5 just before Woodland. You can find some good lodging in the area near Arco Arena off Del Paso.

reviews: 58
2. Re: Airport location

Note that "Arco Arena" is now the "Sleep Train Arena" (same old lousy Kings basketball team, tho). Granted, we all still call it "Arco" but if you go looking on the web for that facility you should be aware of the name change. Also note that Del Paso is a longish street; you want to be near I5, not on Del Paso Blvd. elsewhere in the Sacramento area.

SMF/Sacramento International Airport is close enough in to downtown that you can get from any of the hotels in downtown SAC to the airport via taxi in 20 minutes. So, while the hotels off Del Paso near I 5 and Sleep Train/Arco are fine and 10 minutes closer, your choices actually are broader than that while still within easy striking distance of the airport. Going from downtown to the airport in the morning will be against the flow of commuter traffic, and so no problem.

California
3. Re: Airport location

Haha never adjusted to Power Balance Pavilion either!

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
4. Re: Airport location

LOL - Power Balance Pavilion just sounds weird. I think that selling stadium and arena naming rights is just lame, but they neglected to ask me before they started doing it.

Martinez, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 93
5. Re: Airport location

Right, suzie --- it was kind of a "if you snooze, you lose" thing. Couldn't have even been a year, with that weird name. I drove by the arena a few times (when it first said Power Balance in big letters and then *poof* it was gone). Also, it doesn't help people who are Googling that there is a Sleep Train Pavilion in Concord, CA, so there's another confusion for you. (Plus, I used to work for The Money Store in their IT dept. and we were located in the OLD original Arco Arena, so there you go ---- I still call them both "ARCO Arena.")

Good info above (to help alleviate confusion) but having stayed in hotels in downtown Sac and around Del Paso and also Truxel fairly recently, it might depend on what time the OP is flying out in the morning? My personal preference is to be really close to the airport in the morning, to eliminate any variables. Depends on the OP's tastes.

Tip: Most of the brand-name hotels near "Sleep Train Aenra" are new-ish and have easy parking, including the very quick access to Interstate 5. Not always the case in staying downtown. Also, we've had some discussions here recently about places near the Arena for games and concerts (Holiday Inn, etc.) which can possibly be searched on the forum.

If we haven't confused you too much (mdboutte), let us know if we can help further, now that you know where SMF is.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 12:16 pm, March 04, 2013
California
6. Re: Airport location

Easy & FREE parking off Del Paso near Sleep Train Arena. Some/Most of the hotels in the downtown area do not have free parking.

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 45
7. Re: Airport location

Keep in mind for price comparison- Motels in Woodland are less than ten miles north on I-5 as well. Bright, cheery brand new HI Express and Hampton Inn at Exit 536. The SMF airport is exit 528. And, plenty of parking as well.

New Iberia...
reviews: 27
8. Re: Airport location

We fly out at 6 am but have to drop off the rental car before so we'll be there before 5 am. I guess we'll get something on I-5?? That sounds ok to all of you as we coming from Napa? I- 80 to 113 to I- 5?

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
9. Re: Airport location

Not sure where 113 comes into this trip. I5 and 80 intersect.

Martinez, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 93
10. Re: Airport location

Definitely skip Highway 113 --- unless you've decided to stay in Woodland (which is further from SMF than the hotels around Del Paso Rd.)

113 takes off I-80 before you get to Sacramento and goes north to Woodland. It would be an out-of-your-way highway to get to the airport. Go past 113 and take regular I-80 toward Reno (stay in the right lanes as you go over the causeway approaching Sacramento). Be careful on this as there is also a Business-80. Take the one toward Reno which will take off to the right first.

You can connect with I-5 North off of I-80 East. It will take you past the arena and deposit you on Del Paso Rd. for hotel opportunities. When you wake up early in the AM, you are very close to SMF for rental car return and your flight.

No prejudice against Woodland as I was born there but, going back to post #1 from suzie, that option makes the most sense, now that you have mentioned your early departure time.