We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to stay

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Best places to stay

Hi I am planning a trip to the US in June with my friends, Sacramento is on our list for a 3 day stay, could anyone advise of the best area to stay to be central to amenities and attractions please. thanks

California
reviews: 12
1. Re: Best places to stay

What attractions? What is your reason for staying for 3 days in Sacramento in June?

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
2. Re: Best places to stay

Downtown or mid-town areas are probably your best bet.

Liverpool, United...
3. Re: Best places to stay

vacation, but planning on visiting Sacramento, then San francisco then on to somewhere else, I think we may have picked the wrong month, this is our British summertime though. we have previously visited San Diego and LA.

California
reviews: 12
4. Re: Best places to stay

Yes I understand you are on vacation but why would you be going to Sacramento? Is there something in town you are planning to see? Just so many other parts of CA to visit it's hard to believe you would travel so far to spend 3 days in Sacramento. Unless your vacation is really long.

In other words if we knew what you had planned we could recommend the best lodging location.

Edited: 6:25 pm, February 14, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
5. Re: Best places to stay

In other words, Sacramento is not generally considered a vacation venue. Yes it is the capital of California, and, yes there are some things to see, but, frankly it is not worth three days of your vacation. Sacramento is in the Central Valley and gets very hot in the summer.

I would add those three days to San Francisco.

Edited: 6:45 pm, February 14, 2013
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
6. Re: Best places to stay

How about Yosemite NP? Lake Tahoe? Monterey?

>> central to amenities and attractions << If you want to visit Sacramento, then folks need to know which "attractions" you'll be visiting.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
7. Re: Best places to stay

I agree with the others that 3 days in Sacramento is too long, esspecially given the other wonderful destinations in CA. Let us know what your interests are and what drew you to Sacramento in the first place and we can help you decide how much time you really should spend there, or whether you should skip it in favor of someplace else.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 33
8. Re: Best places to stay

OK Sac isn't that bad. However, most people don't need 3 full days (ie 4 nights = 3 full days)

unless you are including a day trip to the Gold Country.

Otherwise 2 days and 2 nights should be enough.

If you want to be near good restaurants I would stay near Midtown. (15th - 20th and H st. to L st.)

Old Sacramento, The Railroad Museum, Crocker Art Gallery, the Capitol, Stanford and The Governors Mansions, Sutters Fort are all walkable from that area. If you are a real history buff then you might want more time for ...say the Ca Aerospace Museum, Military Museum or Auto Museum but that's up to you. It's your vacation

If you are here in early June it might be hot, If late June it most probably will be HOT!

What is your budget? Do you want American B&B, Large full service Hotel or small mid size?

Edited: 8:27 pm, February 14, 2013
Liverpool, United...
9. Re: Best places to stay

Hi, thanks for all the comments, we just wanted to try somewhere different really and was looking at places near san francisco as we will be spending a few days there then flying to Las Vegas for a long weekend. Maybe we will cut it to 2 days at sacramento then! our trip will be between 10 to 12 days over all. thanks again for the comments and information they are all very useful.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
10. Re: Best places to stay

lyndsey - With the criteria of something different, reasonably close to SF, and prior to flying to LV, there are quite a lot of options. Of course Sacramento is a nice city with things to entertain you too. I just want to make sure that you are choosing destinations that fit what you want to do.

The gold country was mentioned earlier, which is a very nice choice for spending a few days, esspecially if you are looking for something different from SF, LV, SD, and LA. There are a lot of neat little towns along Hwy 49 - this is where the CA gold rush happened, so very historic to the state. Also quite a few wineries up that way and good outdoor activities.

The wine country north of SF is another option - you have Napa and Sonoma, plus some smaller areas like Anderson Valley and so on.

The coast north of SF is also very beautiful.

Yosemite is fabulous and a must-see if you haven't been there - getting lodging in the summer can be a challenge, but a lot of times you can luck into cancellations.

Lake Tahoe is another good choice.