We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy Day Mini Trip Report

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Davis, California
reviews: 27
Rainy Day Mini Trip Report

Please scroll down to the bottom for a less rambling version.

With the Turkey Day leftovers dwindling, we decided to grab some dim sum this morning. There is really great ethnic food in and around Sacramento, and at times, I think the Chinese food is better than SF. We started out at New Happy Garden on Stockton Street in Sacramento. The little strip mall housing the restaurant is home to some colorful shops and characters alike. The restaurant provides an extensive Dim Sum menu and a great opportunity for people watching. My husband and I particular enjoy watching the large and varied families and the friendly service, in addition to the food. It's a great spot for visitors too, our German cousins got a kick of the place, they had never been to dum sum before.

From there we took a little walk to the Chinese bakery within the same block and picked up a couple of sweet things we had never tried before, one was a hit the other a miss, but at $1 each you can afford to experiment. To prevent food coma from setting in, we left Stockton St. and headed home toward Midtown and in search of an espresso.

We ended up stopping at the Naked Lounge on Q street (yes it's appropriate for all ages!). We grabbed some coffee and spet some time watching the fall leaves and people getting their errands done before the next storm At the coffee shop we got to talking about the Leland Stanford Mansion (I had no idea it was here). We were sad he didn't build his University here, but we headed over to check it out anyway.

Leland Stanford's mansion is a national park now and the grounsd are open to the public, but there is a $5 entry fee for a docent guided tour. We were just in time for the 2 PM tour so we went with it. There were lovely stories of the past this formerly bustling city has had, but it was sad that we were the only people there. Because of the bad weather the city was even emptier than it usually is. We headed home to change and then head out for a run/bike ride, my husband usually runs and I ride my bike. About 3 seconds after stepping foot in the house, it began to pour, so the last part of this trip will have to be completed on a different day. This report is a bit of a ramble, so here it is in list:

1. Dim Sum at New Happy Garden and exploration of the Stockton St. area of Sacramento. (Asian food, groceries)

2. Naked Lounge, Midtown coffee house for people watching and seeing a different side of the city.

3. Leland Stanford Mansion, local history, and photography.

4. 4 Mile run or bike ride by to the American River (To be completed later)

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 34
1. Re: Rainy Day Mini Trip Report

Love the Stanford Mansion. We were there on the weekend it reopened a few years ago...it was packed.

By some miracle we happended to end up in line next to a friend of ours that, unbeknownst to us, had grown up there as a child when it was a children's home. It was very interesting to hear stories from her perspective.

Sounds like a fun rainy day.

Davis, California
2. Re: Rainy Day Mini Trip Report

Oh that's good to hear that it was packed when you went. I was hoping the fact that it was deserted could be attributed to the weather. If there was a Sacramento Mansions tour, I'd be up for it!

reviews: 734
3. Re: Rainy Day Mini Trip Report

Sounds like a fun time in spite of the rain! :)

Martinez, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 103
4. Re: Rainy Day Mini Trip Report

Thanks for the really nice trip report. You sure did a good job of getting around, despite the weather.

Also, someday I'd love to see your list of favorite Chinese/Asian restaurants as we tend to hang out on Stockton St. when in SF and there are some great ones in that area. My favorite Asian restaurant in Sacto. is in the northeast area -- far afield from where visitors would normally go. Will definitely give your favorites a try.

Just a slight alteration on the Stanford home information (unless things have changed just recently). It's a State Historic Park (rather than National), just as Old Sacramento is a SHP (which was originally designated to be a National Historic Park, except they went and built I-5 through it, so it no longer met the criteria - darn).

Thanks for the neat ideas!

Davis, California
5. Re: Rainy Day Mini Trip Report

Hi Marly, it may well be a state park rather than a National park, I probably mis-wrote on that.

For Asian food I'd go out of the 'cool' parts of midtown for sure, the good stuff is within the ethnic communities outside midtown...

6. Re: Rainy Day Mini Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 17, 2013