We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking charges at downtown hotels

Which Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Visalia, CA
Parking charges at downtown hotels

I'm researching for a hotel to stay in for one night while my daughter and I visit the campus of Sacramento State. I've only looked at a couple of the downtown hotels, but so far they all charge for parking. Am I correct in assuming this is the standard for the hotels downtown? I don't mind paying for parking if I have to, but at around $25.00 to park I want to be able to figure that into my budget while looking for a hotel. We live in Visalia, so will be driving north to Sac on the 99.

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
1. Re: Parking charges at downtown hotels

Why not stay nearer to campus? Downtown hotels will usually charge for parking.

Visalia, CA
2. Re: Parking charges at downtown hotels

The only one I found on Expedia that was close to campus is a Comfort Inn about a mile away on Howe Avenue, and since I'm not familiar with the area I wasn't sure how it would be. Thought it might be more fun to stay downtown.

Visalia, CA
3. Re: Parking charges at downtown hotels

The only other hotel I found near campus is Larkspur Landing, does anyone have any thoughts on this hotel?

Lassen National...
reviews: 11
4. Re: Parking charges at downtown hotels

Larkspur Landings are nice 3 stars usually. The ones I've stayed in Folsom & Truckee tend to keep updated with style. They have breakfast. I haven't had the breakfast in Folsom, but at the Truckee Larkspur it's a pretty nice spread. I don't know if that just for skiers though. The rooms are suites & usually have a microwave & coffee maker. The staff is super friendly.

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
5. Re: Parking charges at downtown hotels

Yes it is more fun to stay near downtown, and of course you have to pay for that fun.

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 47
6. Re: Parking charges at downtown hotels

The Holiday Inn Express, 728 16th St., does not charge for parking. Its a very good location for many needs, including J and K streets, dining, and the State Capitol. Even Old Sacramento is walkable in nice weather.

Another free parking option is the Inn Off Capitol Park, 1530 N St, 95814 Sacramento. 866 430 2692 This property is about as far south of the Capitol as Holiday Inn Express is north of it. Same decent location to amenities.

The Vagabond Hotel on 3rd st is one star level below the two listed above. Free Parking. Ask for a room not facing the highway.

Yes, The Sheraton, Embassy Suites and Hyatt are in great locations, and you will pay for parking.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 3
7. Re: Parking charges at downtown hotels

Yeah most of the hotels in downtown charge for parking.

It's not much to do at night around the downtown area except dining and drinks. Hardly anybody walks around, especially in the winter right about now. It is just as easy to drive there to have dinner and park (many metered spots are free after 6pm). $25 saved from parking may pay for your dinner or your daughter's. :)

The closest accommodation to Sac State is Motel 6. Almost right at the entrance of the university.

If you prefer hotels, Double Tree is on Arden. Not "close" close to Sac State but closer than hotels in downtown anyway. Hilton is not far away (same exit - Arden, on the business 80 freeway). I am not sure if they charge for parking (they shouldn't IMO).

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 47
8. Re: Parking charges at downtown hotels

I do take exception to the "not much to do" and "no one walks around at night" statements. There is both plenty to do, and many people walk around at night. Old Sac, a great restaurant or two on every block, the revitalization of K St., with The Dive Bar, allowing cars back on the street, Second Saturday Celebrations, Art Walks, J and K and L St pockets of social life, Community Theater events.

Perhaps the view from Los Angeles is a bit clouded.

Hotels in the Arden area are OK, great for business commuters and small conventioneers who are needing that area to attend something in that area. Also good for the CalExpo area, which is hopping in the summer.

For a college visit, I'd stay with what the OP is looking for- a more complete visit to the fabric of the community and Capitol of the State. I hope you do enjoy your visit.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 33
9. Re: Parking charges at downtown hotels

What is your total budget? Room, parking and tax.

Judging by your post and questions, the Inn Off Capitol Park would be my pick for you. It is in a nice area and close to all the Downtown/Midtown restaurants. Free Parking, Breakfast and WIFi. It is really simple to get to Sac State from there too. North on 16th 4 blocks and a right turn on J street will take you directly to the front entrance to Sac State.

ascendcollection.com/hotel-sacramento-califo…

If your budget is higher then I would opt for the Hyatt, Citizen Hotel, Sheraton Grand or Marriot Residence Inn. I'm sure all of these will charge for parking though.

If you are here on the Second Saturday of the month there will be tons of people walking around in the evening. Weeknights are quieter but the streets are by no means abandoned.

There many very good local restaurants in Downtown/Midtown between 15th and 21st and H st. and Capitol Ave.

Near the University; the Motel 6 is close but not many dining options nearby. The Comfort Inn is in an industrial wasteland and the aforementioned Doubletree is in a business park wasteland and really no closer to CSUS than Downtown.

I'm not a real fan of the location of the Holiday Inn Express in Downtown. It is about 5 blocks north of Capitol Park and that area is a little grittier than I prefer.

I would choose the Inn Off Capitol Park

If, however, you decide to stay close to Sac State I would take the Larkspur Landing. It is very close to the University and there are some cheap eats next door and some very nice dining options just a couple blocks east on Fair Oaks Blvd.

Sacramento CA
reviews: 66
10. Re: Parking charges at downtown hotels

Larkspur Landing is an excellent, boutique hotel. Very nice rooms, good staff. The Howe Avenue location is close to Sac State

Edited: 5:51 pm, January 02, 2012