We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good places for trip

Which Redlands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Redlands, California
good places for trip

i am a visitor and will live in Redlands for one years. I am looking for some interesting places for short trip with my wife in weekend by car, such as beach, laker, et al. So, please give me some suggestions on tour routes. Thank you very much

14 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 2,446
1. Re: good places for trip

There are a lot of places to go.

Big Bear Lake, Lake Gregory are nearby (40 miles away - about an hour)

http://www.bigbearinfo.com/index.php

www.cityofcrestline.com/lakegregory.html

Palm Springs and Joshua Trees is a short drive away - Palm Springs has the arial Tram.

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm

For wine tasting Temecula

http://www.temeculacvb.com/

A little further but weekend trips very doable all the beaches from Santa Barbara to San Diego

and for the Christmas Holidays be sure to go to Mission Inn and see the Christmas decorations there...

http://www.missioninn.com/festival-of-lights/

Once you are there for a while you will find a lot of fun places to go.

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 3
2. Re: good places for trip

Hi jay c,

I live in Yucaipa, to the east of Redlands and am often in Redlands. Have you heard of Yucaipa yet and the portion of town called Oak Glen, which is an apple farming community?

Oak Glen is called the mile high village and is an easy drive up a small mountain above the main town of Yucaipa. The apple harvest will begin soon and it will be a good time to drive up for a visit. There are little shops and restaurants, u-pics, and petting zoos. Our favorite restaurant is the same as many other locals, Law's. Good apple pies, made with apples from the orchard, cider, and very good sandwichs. (No beer or alcohol, though.) Nice views. Our favorite shop and spot to visit is Los Rios Rancho, which has a huge lawn, fantastic view, as well as walking trails. But there are many lovely spots to visit. The trees in Oak Glen have leaves that change colors in the fall. It won't happen until the temps drop some more. You might want to plan a day to go up in October. Unfortunately, it does get very packed on weekends in the fall. A lot of people come for the day from LA and OC and the locals who can't come up during the week do as well. If you only can make it on a weekend, try to drive up early. Most years if you wait until early Nov. there are less people and the trees still have pretty leaves. Sometimes the brillance of the leaves doesn't last long, though. If you notice a string of much colder days or nights in October, that would be an indication that leaves may be turning colors.

To get to Oak Glen, get on the 1O freeway going east, exit at Live Oak Canyon/Oak Glen Rd.and turn left off the ramp, continue driving on Oak Glen Road all the way through town and up the hill. It is much easier driving than Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear. You will eventually enter Oak Glen. There is a fork and either road is okay to take. It should just take you about 40 minutes from Redlands all the way.

Another nice place to visit out here is the Live Oak Canyon Pumpkin Patch. Use the same directions, but instead turn right off the freeway and you will be right there. This is a fun thing to do to get into the fall spirit. It is family run and has a huge pumpkin patch with tractor rides into the fields, an outdoor market with unusual pumpkins, a corn maze, petting zoo, lots of picnic tables under trees, some live entertainment on weekends, a snack bar, and a gift shop. Good place to people watch too. They started charging to get in last year, $2. They give you a wrist band that is good for re-entry another day if you want to go back.

I don't know if you realize it, but Redlands is going to have a big birthday celebration on Nov. 2, in honor of its 125th year. There will be fireworks, live entertainment, art festivals and more. I only have the bare bones info right now, from a flyer. It does say that in case of rain it will change to Nov. 9. I would guess the fireworks will be at the staduim of the University of Redlands, as that is where they are for the Fourth of July, but don't know for sure. If so, they can be seen from the U of R's Quad (huge lawn) without charge as on the 4th.

In the spring, Redlands has the big Bicycle Classic. You will want to stay in town that weekend as it is huge and a fun atmosphere. It is one of the largest events if its kind in the country.

I forgot to mention the regional park in Yucaipa is huge and has a lake. Also, if you enjoy golf, we have a beautiful golf course.

Edited: 3:13 am, September 17, 2013
Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
3. Re: good places for trip

A few other things:

Assuming you just arrived and will be here until the end of summer next year, it seems you just missed the Redlands Bowl Summer Music Festival since it ended at the end of August. Look for that to begin again in late June on Friday and Tuesday nights. Free - donations accepted. Also, at the Redlands Bowl in May is the annual Shakespeare Festival. Free - donations accepted.

On the Sunday prior to Lincoln's birthday in Feb. there is a celebration with folks in period costume, including dancers and an actor who plays Abe Lincoln. At the Shrine behind the Smiley Library.

The V.A. hospital is Loma Linda will have a huge classic car show on its beautiful grounds on Sunday, October 6th 8 a.m. to 3:30. Biggest such event in the area. Classic rock music played (recordings). Get there early. It always gets hot!

I like the suggestion of Mission Inn and Riverside for the Festival of Lights at Christmas time. But, if you have never been there, you might also do a day trip soon, for lunch or dinner. Avoid Sundays, as they have a big expensive brunch. Or just go for cocktails and appetizers. They make great margaritas. Sit in the Spanish Courtyard and enjoy! It can get crowded at Christmas time, so take a take to walk around the hotel and the downtown pedestian mall and get to know it before going back during the holidays.

And during the holidays, there is a very nice production of The Nutcracker ballet at the historic California Theater in downtown San Bernardino. Doesn't look like much from outsude, but inside it is beautiful.

As for a beach, I have always loved Balboa Pier Beach, on the pennisular in Newport Beach. Take the 10 fwy. west, transition onto the 215 south, continue all the way into Orange County - it will change into the 91 in name, then take 55 fwy Beach Cities. It will end in Newport. Continue on that street. It is the second pier down. On the bay side, you can take harbor cruises. There is also a fun auto ferry.

You may already know, but I will just mention it, that Disneyland Resort and Knott's Berry Farm are out there in the same area as the Orange County beaches. You can go to either Downtown Disney or the Knott's Market Place for free, including free parking for up to three hours. I would recommend a trip to Knott's Market Place to have an excellent fried chicken meal at Mrs. Knott's and stroll around the shops. These place in OC will be about an hour drive from Redlands on a Sat or Sun morning.

Edited: 4:03 am, September 17, 2013
Redlands, California
4. Re: good places for trip

thank you very much

Redlands, California
5. Re: good places for trip

are there some other places except for above? such as cinema? theater? mountain? shopping? as more as possible interesting palces i can go by cars. thx again.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 351
6. Re: good places for trip

You will have lots of options for movie theaters, the University of Redlands and the University of California Riverside will have good performing arts production and there is probably local theater as well.

Los Angeles has a major opera company, philharmonic, theaters that get first run Broadway shows, plus original productions that originate in the LA area.

Understand that the area you are moving into (Greater LA Area of which Redlands is a part) is an area of 20,000,000 people or so. There is not much you can not find. People could list things endlessly.

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
7. Re: good places for trip

Hi jay c,

Are you already here in Redlands or will you be coming in the future? The reason I am asking, there are some places you may already be aware of if you are living in Redlands right now.

I am sure as a new comer the idea of Redlands being part of the Greater Los Angeles area is a bit confusing. No one who lives out here actually believes that. We have our own area name, which is the Inland Empire. We are very far from Los Angeles and its surronding cities. But we are part of Southern California, of course, and many places can be reached by car, some like LA and Orange County, and Palm Springs with a long freeway drive. Whether you want to drive out that far, or how often you want to is up to you. There are certainly those things you asked about within a shorter drive and closer to home.

Cities within the Inland Empire that have shopping, movie theaters, performing arts theaters, symphony performances, in addition to Redlands, include San Bernardino, Riverside, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, Upland.

I am going to refer you to the website City Data, which has forums designed for people to post questions related to living in cities and towns and what it is available. I am still open to giving you ideas of local places to visit in and around Redlands, but thought you might need more.

Edited: 11:06 pm, September 17, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 351
8. Re: good places for trip

>>>I am sure as a new comer the idea of Redlands being part of the Greater Los Angeles area is a bit confusing. No one who lives out here actually believes that. We have our own area name, which is the Inland Empire.<<<

Whether or not you choose to acknowledge it, the Inland Empire is part of the officially designated Greater Los Angeles Area that is a Combined Statistical Area of the U.S. census bureau. There are not major network channels for ABC, CBS, NBC, etc that are Inland Empire based, they all come from Los Angeles. The leading newspaper by circulation is the LA Times and the highest rated radio stations are all LA based radio stations.

Redlands, California
reviews: 30
9. Re: good places for trip

Wow, Scott, way to slap down the Inland Empire. The OP will find that Redlands (and the IE) are sociologically and psychologically quite distinct from "Los Angeles"--in some good ways, in some not-so-good ways. And to sneer because we don't have broadcast channels (although we do have a good PBS station in KVCR)--well, neither does Orange County.

To the OP--don't worry about Redlands, its a nice safe town withattractive older areas, movies and shopping (a big outlet mall not far away) and easy access to mountains, deserts, beaches. And as a local resident can say, there definitely IS local theater,including theater in the park and outdoor "Redlands Bowl" music performances in the summer which are a lot of fun.

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
10. Re: good places for trip

Aside from UC Riverside and CSU San Bernardino and U of Redlands, also check the Claremont Colleges for music and performances.

Reply to: good places for trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Redlands