We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historical Glass Museum, Redlands, CA

Which Redlands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westlake Village...
Historical Glass Museum, Redlands, CA

Will be passing thru Redlands on a Sat. in May.

Look forward to seeing the Victorian sights but has anyone been to the HISTORICAL GLASS MUSEUM on Orange Street?

As we're both interested in glass in all its art forms, is this Museum worth visiting?

bskolnick@roadrunner.com

4 replies to this topic
Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 44
1. Re: Historical Glass Museum, Redlands, CA

Hello bunnyleon, and welcome to TripAdvisor and the Redlands forum.

I've actually heard about this museum, but haven't been to it as yet. The reviews at our friends at yelp.com are very good. Here's the link: yelp.com/biz/historical-glass-museum-redlands Reading the two reviews there, the quality of the place seems very worthwhile. Here's the link to the museum itself: http://historicalglassmuseum.com/

A lot of contemporary folks nowadays are used to things being made out of plastic. In a time not so long ago, a lot of that plasticware was actually glass. Some of the items I remember that used to be glass are milk containers, decorative wall blocks, soft drink bottles, mirrored wall tiles, coffee table protectors, radio dials, candy dishes, cookware (Corningware), paperweights, ash trays and even marbles.

Depression era glass is another category I'd imagine this museum having. I remember my mother having a Shirley Temple glass in the typical blue color with a picture of Shirley Temple on the front of it on our hutch growing up, and it stayed with her to her death recently. They mention this kind of glass when they talk about a children's collection in one of their recent newsletters.

Check it out. Please let us know how your visit went should you go. That way more may know of what the museum has to offer. . . they state their Internet site and Facebook page are new, and they are an all volunteer board keeping the place open.

Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 44
2. Re: Historical Glass Museum, Redlands, CA

Friendly BUMP!

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 3
3. Re: Historical Glass Museum, Redlands, CA

Hi,

I lived in Colton, CA for 35 years and moved to Yucaipa a year ago. Even though I have never lived in Redlands, I think of it as sort of a second hometown. (Even more so now that I have moved somewhat closer to it.) I have spent many years enjoying the places, people, and community events there. That said, the Glass Museum is something that, unforuntately, I have overlooked. But I am sure you will find it worthwhile visiting, as just about everything in Redlands is. But especially being as interested in glass as you are. I found a You Tube video that is nicely done and features some of the larger pieces that you will see there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKacI5GiVsU

I don't know if you are aware of the Redlands Lincoln Shrine, but this is a must see in Redlands. Even if you are not that interested in Lincoln and the Civil War, it is lovely walking around the grounds and inspiring reading the words of Lincoln that are carved on the outside of the building. (I actually walked around there after seeing the movie "LIncoln" just to savor and soak up that inspiration.) Also on the park-like grounds is a large memorial statue of President McKinley (actually a bust), which was dedicated by President Theodore Roosevelt.

http://www.lincolnshrine.org/

The Lincoln Shrine is behind the beautiful and historic AK Smiley Library, which is also worth a walk through.

http://www.akspl.org/

Across from the Lincoln Shrine and AK Smiley Library is Redlands Bowl, a large outdoor amphitheater. Currently, the Redlands Shakesphere Festival is going on there on select evenings. This is presented free of charge with only a free will offering being asked of guests who would like to give. There are a couple of free programs in the AK Smiley this coming Saturday afternoon (May 18) that tie into the Shakespeare Festival and this season's plays.

http://www.redlandsshakespearefestival.com/

If you would like a lunch stop, a walk down State Street, which is not far from any of these places, is charming (make sure to look for the historic part of State Street - east, not west). For a simple meal, such as a good hamburger, go to Betty's a small 50's type diner. For a nice pizza, go to Gourmet Pizza. If you have time, you might also enjoy stopping into the big antique store on State Street. Even a peak inside will impress you with the size and the look of the place.

Edited: 5:28 pm, May 14, 2013
Redlands, California
reviews: 25
4. Re: Historical Glass Museum, Redlands, CA

I actually visited the Glass Museum a few years ago and I found it interesting. Its very much a small town museum but there were some nice pieces and I even learned to recognize Fenton (?) glass. Kimberly Crest--a fine Victorian chateau--is also open for tours on weekends. If you're heading east, you might also enjoy the Edward-Deane Museum in Beaumont--chock full of "stuff" but the docents help sift out the chaff. Anyway, welcome to Redlands.

Reply to: Historical Glass Museum, Redlands, CA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Redlands