We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to plan on at Turtle Bay?

Which Redding hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area
How long to plan on at Turtle Bay?

I'm planning a sidetrip to Turtle Bay as we make a road trip by. I'll be visiting with my elementary age kids. How long should we plan on staying at the park to do it justice?

California
reviews: 2
1. Re: How long to plan on at Turtle Bay?

My husband and I went there (no kids along) - and spent about an hour and a half. There weren't as many things to see as we were expecting, but it was winter time, and I had really just wanted to see the sundial bridge. It depends on the kids. You could easily spend the whole day there, and on the weekends in the summer there are lot more events and kid oriented things going on..

USA
reviews: 11
2. Re: How long to plan on at Turtle Bay?

Turtle Bay is very disappointing considering all the hype. I don't think there's any way at all that you could spend the whole day there. Maybe a couple hours, tops.

Shasta Lake
reviews: 7
3. Re: How long to plan on at Turtle Bay?

You might want to check their website and see what events they have scheduled when you go. I've went on a couple class field trips there with my kids. Unless there is an event 2-4 hours tops.

Honolulu, HI
reviews: 14
4. Re: How long to plan on at Turtle Bay?

I go there every year when I visit Redding with my kids (10 yr olds) One hour is all you need, two hours max. If you have a local museum membership from the Bay Area it might get you in free. Ours does (Hawaii). There is a discount on the web if I remember correctly. Nice little restaurant attached for lunch..

Red Bluff, CA
reviews: 5
5. Re: How long to plan on at Turtle Bay?

Well, I disagree with the other posters. Since you have kids with you, I would plan on three hours. An hour and a half for the museum (including walking across the bridge) is plenty but in addition you should plan on an hour for Paul Bunyan park (a play area with lots of hands-on toys such as a dam building section and small maze) and half an hour for the butterfly area. If you are coming in the summer, watch the weather reports and plan to visit early in the day if the weather is expected to be hot.

I think the Turtle Bay Museum and park would be a great "stretch your legs and let the kids get out their wiggles" stop since it is about three hours from the Bay Area. Enjoy!

redding, CA
reviews: 29
6. Re: How long to plan on at Turtle Bay?

We are long-time members of Turtle Bay and have brought our grandchildren (various ages from 2 to 12) throughout the years. Those are the best ages for them to enjoy the museum. While our family is well traveled, the kids love to spend the day here, and climb and play in the park-especially with the water dam, wander around the hands-on exhibits, listen to Indian legends in the teepee, etc. The butterfly exhibit is on now and fun (but doesn't take long to go through). The bridge is wonderful to stroll around and the gardens are lovely. There is a space exhibit coming the middle of June (the Titanic exhibit just finished). However, you must remember this is still a small town, and if you are from the Bay area, this is not Golden-Gate Park with super stimulating stuff everywhere. Turtle Bay is a place to come and stroll around, let the kids wander and play and let their imaginations create the adventure. Whether you spend and hour or two or four, much depends on the kids and what they are used to. Bring lots of water and be prepared for very hot weather. June may see triple digits. We have wonderful pools, lakes, and a great river to raft down. I hope you will enjoy the small town atmosphere and just relax.

California
reviews: 12
7. Re: How long to plan on at Turtle Bay?

Y'all realize that this question was from last year, right?

Costa Mesa...
reviews: 11
8. Re: How long to plan on at Turtle Bay?

any reply is helpful to future travellers... like me!

Thanks for investing in the travel plans of others.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
reviews: 42
9. Re: How long to plan on at Turtle Bay?

I don't know when this story was first published, but it does Redding a favor and lets people know it's more than its reputation.

http://www.sltrib.com/travel/ci_6263504

I was there last year and went to Turtle Bay, and enjoyed it a lot. Between it and the Sundial Bridge, I spent between 3-4 hours. It was all part of a trip to Lassen and it was well worth going another 30 miles or so to Redding.

Bay Area, CA
reviews: 2
10. Re: How long to plan on at Turtle Bay?

This forum posting came up when I googled "best time to visit TurtleBay, Redding, CA." I appreciate all the information posted from 2006 to now. Although perhaps a new current thread should be spun off but I don't know how that is done and it's best left to the moderators. Aug 2007 is seeing 100plusdegreesF. Cool means 90degrees in Oct. I'd like to add that the acoustics under the bridge are fantastic for instrument players like me. American Indian Flute, Pennywhistle and

and violin sound great. It doesn't project too far out so it doesn't bother anyone. The reverb that echoes in the player's heart is calming. I came once before but was allowed only 20 minutes to quickly explore. The bike trails are only 8 miles along the river. The bridge lit at night is also a good photo op for drama and angles. Day trips would be great to Burney Falls (1 hour) and Whiskeytown Falls (15 min). I've been told by hotel staff they all run year round. I hope to come when it's a bit cooler (foghead here) and enjoy a few days with Redding for a base. I don't have kids but the sculptures and kinetics in the Turtle Bay design are enough to occupy me for a few hours. So please, even if a question is old, please know that others coming to it a year later appreciate it.