We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sequoia National monument and porterville

Which Porterville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lenexa, Kansas
reviews: 1
Sequoia National monument and porterville

are there any tours from porterville to the sequoia national monument?

10 replies to this topic
San Diego...
reviews: 29
1. Re: Sequoia National monument and porterville

In the summer months, the city of Visalia offers a shuttle bus from Visalia up to Sequoia National Park and back. I think the round trip cost is only $15. So if you are staying in Visalia you can just ride that shuttle up into the national park and back. Or, you can just drive your own car up into the national park.

I'm not sure why you are staying in Porterville. It is further away from the park, and I don't know of any tours that go from Porterville to the park. I also do not know if there are any tours that go to Giant Sequoia National Monument.

Sequoia National Park is where most travelers go to see the giant seqouia trees. Kings Canyon National Park is adjacent to Sequoia National Park and the 2 parks are managed as if they are one park. Surrounding them is the Sequoia National Forest and the Giant Seqouia National Monument. All of these have the giant sequoia trees, but if you want to see the most famous ones, go to Sequoia National Park and/or Kings Canyon National Park.

I think you should start a new thread in the California forum for discussing your overall route and general itinerary, then come back to each local forum for fine-tuning the part of your trip in each locality. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

Edited: 12:28 pm, February 08, 2012
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
2. Re: Sequoia National monument and porterville

Do you really mean the National Monument? Because if so, no, I don't think I've heard of any tours. But as BW says, there is summer service into the National Park from Visalia. I don't think there are any tours to either place from Porterville.

If you're already going to be in Porterville to visit family or whatever, renting a car would be a good idea to get to Sequoia National Park. Some of the Monument is breathtaking - but some of the roads are iffy, too. I'd stick to the National Parks if this is a first trip.

Lenexa, Kansas
3. Re: Sequoia National monument and porterville

Thanks for the input. Actually we are staying in Solvang down around Santa Barbara and I am trying to figure out a way to drive from Solvang to the Sequoia area and then on to Monterey and stay there. According to mapquest, it is an 8 or 9 hour trip not counting sightseeing time and to go further north in the Sequoia area would be a lot longer trip.

San Diego...
reviews: 29
4. Re: Sequoia National monument and porterville

I don't see how you can start in Solvang, visit Sequoia National Park or Giant Sequoia National Monument, then go on to Monterey all in one day. Technically it might be possible, but it would be a day filled with driving, and leave you almost no time to actually see and enjoy the trees. If you could add a night or 2 nights stayover between Solvang and Monterey, then you could drive up to Sequoia National Park and have the time to really enjoy it, and it would be worth it. But if you have to get from Solvang to Monterey all in the same day, I don't think it's worth the extra time required to drive over to Sequoia National Park.

You can see coast redwood trees in state parks along the California coast. The coast redwood is taller on average than the giant sequoia. The coast redwood is the tallest species of tree in the world, and the world's tallest known tree is a coast redwood in Redwood National Park in northern California. The giant sequoia is also extremely tall, but wider in diameter, and it is the largest species of tree in terms of volume; in fact the world's largest tree by volume is the General Sherman Tree at Sequoia National Park. Both of these species are immense trees and very impressive in person. I think the giant sequoia is more impressive at the ground level, because of its wider trunk.

But unless you can work in at least on night stay between Solvang and Monterey, I don't think it's worth it to you to go over to Sequoia National Park. I would just drive the coastal route through Big Sur instead, which is a spectacular drive, in fact one of California's great scenic drives. Along the way are several state parks which have the coast redwood trees, and you could stop at one of them and take a walk through a grove of coast redwoods. The state parks with coast redwood trees are shown at this page: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24723

Between Solvang and Monterey, the parks that have them are Limekiln, Julia Pfieffer Burns, Pfeiffer-Big Sur and Andrew Molera State Parks. You could also make an additional stop at Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, just south of Carmel, even though it does not have redwood trees it has Monterey Cypress trees, wildlife and spectacular coastal scenery. I think that's a better solution than trying to include Sequoia National Park on the day you drive from Solvang to Monterey.

Edited: 10:50 am, February 09, 2012
Lenexa, Kansas
5. Re: Sequoia National monument and porterville

Thanks for your input. Maybe I can look into staying just outside of the National parks in a town like Fresno or one on the way to Monterey. That will give me more time in the parks and then a short drive to Monterey.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
6. Re: Sequoia National monument and porterville

Casey - give us a little more to work with. What's going on with the rest of your trip? How much time do you have? And, when is this trip? You don't want to go up there if snow is predicted.

You could drive over from Solvang and stay in Three Rivers and then visit Seki the next day.

Lenexa, Kansas
7. Re: Sequoia National monument and porterville

we are scheduled to be at a timeshare at Solvang between the 23rd and 30th of June. I do not want to spend over two nights away from Solvang since I am already paying for a room there. Ideally , we would get up early and drive up somewhere into the parks area--see that and then get on our way at the end of the day so we could get within 2 or 3 hours of Monterey, get up and drive to Monterey and stay there then see that and drive back late the next day to Solvang.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
8. Re: Sequoia National monument and porterville

OK, got it. It's a lot of driving but it can be done.

I would choose Yosemite over Sequoia. The drive is almost the same but Yosemite gives you more bang for your buck. You can see giant sequoia, great mountain views, and the waterfalls should be at their peak in Yosemite.

So, leave at 4am and head for the southern entrance of Yosemite on Hwy 41. This is a 5 hour drive. Visit the Mariposa Grove, then the Wawona Pioneer Village followed by a drive up to Glacier Point ending up in Yosemite Valley. Stay until close to sunset and then drive out 140 to Mariposa. The Mariposa Lodge is a good, reasonably priced option and there are several good, family restaurants just down the street. Mariposa is a neat, historic gold country town. It has a lot more character than staying in Merced or Los Banos.

Then, head out to Monterey the next morning (3 hour drive), stay in Monterey and then drive Hwy 1 through Big Sur on your way back to Lompoc. There's some nice redwood groves in Big Sur that you can stop and see. These are the coastal redwoods which are taller but thinner than the giant sequoia.

Lenexa, Kansas
9. Re: Sequoia National monument and porterville

I looked at that route on the National Parks website. It looks to be a lot more envolved than another route I found from 198 to Ash Mountain to the Giant Forest Museum to General Sherman Tree to Lodgepole Village to Grant Grove Village then 180 on to Fresno. I do not care if I see the tallest or widest trees or that many waterfalls. This southern route seems more doable. Thanks for your input.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
10. Re: Sequoia National monument and porterville

Sure, you can go to Sequoia instead. As I said in my previous post, the mileage is almost identical. Check it out on google maps rather than the NPS website. Going to Yosemite Valley is only 4 more miles of distance on a trip starting in Solvang going to either Sequoia or Yosemite and then on to Monterey.

I think most people would say that Yosemite would be the more scenic destination unless your only interest is in the trees. But, you say you do not care about the trees or the waterfalls. So, I guess I'm wondering why you want to make this very long drive in the first place.

You might be better off, just driving up to Monterey by Hwy 101 and spending the two days on the coast working your way back to Solvang via Hwy 1. You would do a lot less driving. Seeing the national parks is a lot better if you can stay multiple days.

Reply to: Sequoia National monument and porterville
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porterville