We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GEVC lighthouse

Which Point Arena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
connecticut
reviews: 163
GEVC lighthouse

What can we expect for our Halloween visit to the Port Arena area?

Looking for outdoor adventures, local (within 100 miles) hangouts and fun vineyards to discover. First trip to this area of California for this East Coast couple celebrating their 30th Anniversary and first return to the California coast in almost 20 years.

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
San Dimas, Ca
reviews: 31
1. Re: GEVC lighthouse

There is a lot of beachcombing, the "Skunk Train" in Fort Bragg, redwood forests. Bowling Ball Beach is awesome. The resort at GEVC Resort At Lighthouse Point was quaint, clean and unique.

connecticut
reviews: 163
2. Re: GEVC lighthouse

We had a great visit in this area of CA! The GEVC lighthouse timeshare was an excellent base to visit the NO CA coast. We love the town of Point Arena and the Anderson Valley for its excellent wine and great craft beer. Would stay here again in a heartbeat. It is not convenient to the Napa wine region but not a bad trip to upper Sonoma, but like that area very much anyways! It was cool in the fall, but dry, a nice time to visit and you may catch the harvest if there at the right time. I would expect that the resort is busy in the summer and spring months. There are outside grills and a small supply store on sight.,

Driving up and down the coast line is magnificent. This location is remote enough for peace and quiet yet location offers diverse day-tripping. Nothing fancy, but excellent for a memorable vacation. One of our favorites!

Edited: 8:49 am, February 19, 2013
San Diego...
reviews: 7
3. Re: GEVC lighthouse

Coastal California trip

Oceanside to LA on Amtrak. Delightful to take Coast starlight from LA to San Jose. We took only carry-on luggage and walked from Amtrak station to The Arena Hotel- 3 blocks. Walked to Chipotle for late dinner.

On the Starlight it was nice to sit in parlor car with table and larger windows until it was dark, then we returned to our very comfortable seats. Outlets at each seat and foot rests and drop down table. Seats recline if desired. It was 7 a.m.- 8:11pm Oceanside to San Jose. We bought Subway sandwich in LA station so we didn’t need to use the dining car on trip up. Enterprise car rental picked us up at hotel and delivered us to their office next a.m.- we rented a car for 8 days. We drove to Safeway and purchased ice chest and food for the week. Drive thru San Francisco was easy, Hwy 1 to cross Golden gate bridge. We should have picked up lunch before Sausailito. Panda Express all we saw there. We took Hwy one until detour took us around Muir Woods on Panoramic Hwy. Hwy 1 under road work- thus detour. This road is not recommended for RV’s or trailers. Windy is an understatement. Narrow and hairpin curves for quite a few miles. We reached the coast at Stinson Beach after driving thru Mt Tamalpais State Park. All the towns after San Francisco are small and quaint. At Point Reyes the road goes inland until you reach Bodega Bay. The Road from Bodega Bay to Point Arena is all along the coast. (On our return trip we cut across from Bodega Bay to Santa Rosa on Hwy 1 and then 12 thru Sebastopol.) We stayed at Lighthouse Pointe in Point Arena. In January they offered 40% off- so a week was only $370.00. Great price for a nice location. It was a converted RV park with modular cabins that are quite new and well set up. The bedroom has a queen bed, desk and TV. The kitchen has nice pots/pans/dishes for 4. It has gas cooktop, full size refrig, convection/micro combo , coffee maker, blender and dishwasher. They supply salt/pepper & coffee. They have hairdryer in bathroom. If we had taken our car I would have taken 2 beach chairs to sit and watch for whales along the coast. With 40 % off Lighthouse Pointe was about ½ the price of campground 4 miles further in Manchester with small cabins. It was shirtsleeve weather during the day, mid 60’s most days. The evenings were in lower 50’s. Perfect weather. I liked it so well that if they offer a 40% off next January I’d go again.

There is a couch that I think makes into sofa bed. One lounge chair, nice gas log fireplace and large satellite TV with DVD player. BBQ’s are available. We did not eat at their restaurant that was open for breakfast and lunch. I advise taking all groceries with you. The only meal we ate out was Sunday lunch in Gualala at Mexican restaurant that was actually quite good. But it is an hour drive to Gualala. On Sunday we visited Fort Ross- for me that was the highlight of the trip. If you are history Buff you might want to allow 4 hours to see Fort Ross. We were there on a Sunday at Noon and I am so pleased we got in on the 45 min. talk given by Interpretive Ranger, I think her name was Terri Ann and she is 3rd generation to be at Fort Ross. Call ahead and find out when that talk is available. This is the best State Park I have ever experienced for history. This was originally a Russian Fort dating back to early 1800’s and Russian occupation.

I also enjoyed the Point Arena lighthouse and the museum there. My husband climbed to the top I spent the time reading history of this lighthouse, built in 1800’s. Well worth a couple hours. The view is fabulous, history well done.

Point Arena does have a nice movie theater and we saw “Unbroken”- senior price was $7.00. Their hours are irregular. In fact most things in Point Arena are irregular. We visited the library every day to check our email and some days it opens at noon and some day at 10 a.m. Be sure to try a Huckelberry Danish at Franny’s Bakery one door down from the library. They were awesome. Their berry muffins loaded with fresh blackberry/raspberries were also fabulous. The pier was a nice spot to watch a sunset.

On the return we booked a hotel thru priceline at ½ price of hotel on trip up. We had a rental car- so did not matter that hotel was in south San Jose- a nice Extended Stay America. Enterprise opened at 9 a.m. and got us to the train station by 9:10 for our 10 a.m. departure on Amtrak. The train is so nice and comfortable. We ate our dinner in dining room- expensive and ok for 1 meal if on the train for 14 hours.

Lovely trip. Beauty beyond words.

Reply to: GEVC lighthouse
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Point Arena