We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auburn or Placerville swimming holes

Which Placerville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
reviews: 3
Auburn or Placerville swimming holes

My 12 year old son and I will be spending a Saturday in late June whitewater rafting on the American River.

We are planning on driving up early Friday morning and were hoping to spend the day at a swimming hole- we don't mind hiking in up to a mile each way.

I'm trying to decide whether to stay in Auburn on Placerville the night before. I've driven through both towns briefly but don't know either one well. Which town has more of an old west historic feel?

Also, more importantly can anyone recommend any swimming holes near either town? I've read about Clark's hole near Auburn but heard that it can get crowded. I've also heard about Happy Valley near Placerville but can't seem to find directions.

5 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 1,759
1. Re: Auburn or Placerville swimming holes

Auburn is closer to the American River - where we have enjoyed swimming.

http://www.swimmingholes.org/ca.html

This is easier to get to - its by the bridge on highway 49 - south of Auburn and you will see many parking along the road, etc. You then need to walk down to the river - but its pretty easy to do and enjoy.

While both towns are small town urban center than they used to be (we have relatives in the area), both Placerville and Auburn have some unique charm about them. If you are looking for gold rush towns, Sutter Mill is closer to Placerville.

goldtrailcompany.com/MGDPSuttersMill.html

so driving to that area will give you the most historic feel.

We recently stayed at the Best Western in Placerville (it was close to where we were having a family party). It is a nice place to stay. You have to pay a bit more, but they have pool side rooms. (you have access to the pool regardless of where you stay in the hotel but it was great just stepping out of our room into the pool area). So if you want just a place to swim and be in the jacuzzi versus a swimming hole, it might work for you. If you want a natural swimming hole, the American River is better to swim at. At the BW, there is a Mexican Restaurant within walking distance that is good to eat at.

http://www.bwplacervilleinn.com/

We have not stayed in Auburn but they have various lodging to stay at. Look at the hotel section of trip advisor - or perhaps another person can advise better than I can.

Edited: 11:46 pm, June 17, 2012
San Francisco...
2. Re: Auburn or Placerville swimming holes

So is happy valley off the 49 or Clark's?

nor cali
reviews: 11
3. Re: Auburn or Placerville swimming holes

Happy valley is actually mostly private property. The part of the river near the steel bridge is public, but that is about it.

Placerville...
4. Re: Auburn or Placerville swimming holes

May 1st catch and release fishing will be open at Finnon Lake in Swansboro, located 9 miles NE of downtown Placerville. The dam is finished and there's water in the lake! We've got bass and blue gill. It's a $6 day use fee per carload.

Camping at Finnon Lake starts May 23, 2014 and is $20 per site per night.

Also, now open at Finnon Lake is:

Mosquito General - Market & Kitchen

9100 Rock Creek Rd.

Placerville, CA 95667

530-295-4980

Mosquito General is a general store and restaurant; serving hamburgers and sandwiches and selling everything from produce to candy.

We hope to get people up here to enjoy the lake and the campground. So we're trying to spread the word.

There are also hiking trails and a disc golf course!

Signed,

Finnon Lake Lover

Edited: 11:00 pm, March 27, 2014
Placerville...
5. Re: Auburn or Placerville swimming holes

May 1st catch and release fishing will be open at Finnon Lake in Swansboro, located 9 miles NE of downtown Placerville. The dam is finished and there's water in the lake! We've got bass and blue gill. It's a $6 day use fee per carload.

Camping at Finnon Lake starts May 23, 2014 and is $20 per site per night.

Also, now open at Finnon Lake is:

Mosquito General - Market & Kitchen

9100 Rock Creek Rd.

Placerville, CA 95667

530-295-4980

Mosquito General is a general store and restaurant; serving hamburgers and sandwiches and selling everything from produce to candy.

We hope to get people up here to enjoy the lake and the campground. So we're trying to spread the word.

There are also hiking trails and a disc golf course!

Signed,

Finnon Lake Lover

Edited: 11:00 pm, March 27, 2014
Reply to: Auburn or Placerville swimming holes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Placerville
More Placerville Topics