We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pismo to 17 Mile Drive

Which Pismo Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Pismo to 17 Mile Drive

Hi

We are going to be staying at the Seacrest Resort in Pismo Beach for 3 nights as part of our honeymoon and I was thinking about driving up and doing the 17-mile drive at some point and taking in Carmel & Monterrey. My fiancee has never been, although I have around 7 years ago.

Is this an easy drive to make? And would we be better joining at the Highway 1 gate rather than the Carmel Gate so we are effectively going around anti-clockwise and exiting back to the south?

Help would be massively appreciated here.

Regards

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
1. Re: Pismo to 17 Mile Drive

Are you thinking of doing this as a day trip from Pismo?

IF you were planning on taking Highway 1 up to Carmel from Pismo Beach, that's close to a 4 hour drive WITHOUT stops. I wouldn't do it JUST to do the 17 Mile Drive.

Besides.... There's MUCH better scenery to spend your time in than that!!

Point Lobos State Reserve, which is a few miles south of Carmel, offers stunning coastal scenery from several easy to walk hiking trails.

I really don't consider Monterey/Carmel day trip material. I DO consider it one of the most romantic areas to spend a honeymoon in. I suggest giving up a night or two from Pismo and spend them in Carmel or Pacific Grove and enjoy romantic walks on Carmel Beach, hike Point Lobos, drive the 17 Mile Drive, walk the scenic rec trail in Pacific Grove.

IF you choose to do this as a day trip, be aware that you're looking at a minimum of 8 hours WITHOUT stops just getting there & back. You could opt for driving UP Highway 1 to Monterey/Carmel and then return by the quicker Highway 68 to Salinas and taking Highway 101 back to Pismo.

Avila Beach...
reviews: 6
2. Re: Pismo to 17 Mile Drive

Agree with KM - skip 17 mile drive and enjoy Highway 1 though Big Sur and Point Lobos instead. You can do a day trip from Pismo to Big Sur and back, but it's a long day and I don't believe it's worth it to drive all the way to Carmel - you wouldn't have time to get out of the car. Better to spend the night.

reviews: 718
3. Re: Pismo to 17 Mile Drive

Consider spending one night at least in the Carmel/Monterey area. 17 Mile Drive is beautiful! We spent the entire day there a few weeks ago. If you dine at Roy's your entrance fee will be re-imbursed.

The Normandy Inn in downtown Carmel would be a lovely choice for your stay if you decide on spending a night there. We have stayed a couple of times at The SeaCrest, great choice! :)

4. Re: Pismo to 17 Mile Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, March 13, 2013
Pismo Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach
reviews: 84
5. Re: Pismo to 17 Mile Drive

I agree with everyone - I would change your honeymoon a bit and spend 2 nights in Pismo and then one night in Carmel.

oakland, CA
reviews: 28
6. Re: Pismo to 17 Mile Drive

Nothing against Carmel, or 17 mile drive, both great. We always prefer to spend the night in uber-romantic Big Sur though. Two places we have stayed happily are Ventana and Deetjuns. Both have wonderful restaurants. Or you can stay somewhere more rustic (Big Sur Lodge, etc.) and spend the sunset at Nepenthe Restaurant for a superlative view, not to mention great food and atmosphere. Deetjens is very unique - a historic inn with very idiosyncratic rooms and wonderful breakfasts in addition to dinner. Ventana has more of a spa/resort feel. Big Sur Lodge feels like a campground - maybe is a state facility and campground actually... (less amenities but more reasonable rates) - but has great access to the trailhead that goes to Pfeiffer Falls and also a nice spot for breakfast, in the woods.

7. Re: Pismo to 17 Mile Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Pismo Beach