We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the butterflies at the Monarch Grove yet?

Which Pismo Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago Illinois
reviews: 29
Are the butterflies at the Monarch Grove yet?

We are planning a trip up Highway one next week and wonder if the butterflies have returned to the monarch grove yet.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
1. Re: Are the butterflies at the Monarch Grove yet?

I'll drive by on my way home from work tomorrow and report back.

Pismo Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach
reviews: 88
2. Re: Are the butterflies at the Monarch Grove yet?

Even If a few butterflies are beginning to show, the general time for them and when State Park docents are there is Nov - Feb. (I used to work for State Parks)

Chicago Illinois
3. Re: Are the butterflies at the Monarch Grove yet?

I hope the report is good, because unfortunately this is the only time we can go.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
4. Re: Are the butterflies at the Monarch Grove yet?

I went the back way home, so didn't go by the monarch grove. Will drive by tomorrow morning and report back. No work tomorrow. :-)

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
5. Re: Are the butterflies at the Monarch Grove yet?

The butterflies are NOT here yet. Sorry.

Chicago Illinois
6. Re: Are the butterflies at the Monarch Grove yet?

thank you for taking the time to check for me.

Pismo Beach...
7. Re: Are the butterflies at the Monarch Grove yet?

For the past couple of days we have been seeing a stray butterfly here and there ... so they just starting to roll in ... it will probably be a little time before they are here in quantity.

Seattle, Washington
8. Re: Are the butterflies at the Monarch Grove yet?

I walked through the grove a couple of times this past week (around November 1st). Didn't have my glasses with me, so I don't know if any butterflies were present. But the docents are there and the season is "open." :-)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
9. Re: Are the butterflies at the Monarch Grove yet?

There are also Monarch butterfly winter sanctuaries in Pacific Grove and Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz, in Natural Bridges State Park, has the most concentrated population, in its eucalyptus grove. These will both be on your way as you travel up Highway 1.

I have not yet checked them out at Natural Bridges, but the 'official season' began on October 12.

Here is some information.

<<<October marks the return of the Monarch butterfly to the California coast, and one of the largest concentrations of these amber-colored beauties is at Natural Bridges State Beach in Santa Cruz. They've journeyed 1,500 miles from the Rocky Mountains in search of mild temperatures, and from now through March you can see them resting on their leafy coastal thrones. Commonly spotted in eucalyptus trees, the butterflies flit and flutter among the branches in warmer weather (55 degrees or higher); when the temperatures dip, they move into huddles so thick the trees look more like shingled roofs. At Natural Bridges, visitors walk a few minutes down the Monarch Boardwalk into the forest to the grand "Monarch Resting Area," on a wooden platform. It's a winged wonderland.

TIP: The butterfly season officially kicks off Oct. 12 with "Welcome Back Monarchs Day." The family-friendly celebration includes parades, live music, and of course a costume contest. (10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)<<<

If I can get more information about the Natural Bridges population I will let you know. And do check out Pacific Grove, as well, on your way up the coast.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
10. Re: Are the butterflies at the Monarch Grove yet?

The OP has completed this trip. It was for early October. I was by the Pismo Beach grove the last couple of days and didn't see much butterfly activity.

Get answers to your questions about Pismo Beach