We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quiet beach town near la but far enough away...

Which Pismo Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Munich, Germany
reviews: 60
quiet beach town near la but far enough away...

can anyone recommend a quiet beachtown that would be a good wind-down for a 5 year old and 42 year old? would like it to be within 1-2 hours of la, bus accessible. was thinking pismo but had remembered it being more closer to la airport... we'll have been traveling for 3 months at that point so when i say quiet...

reviews: 707
1. Re: quiet beach town near la but far enough away...

Pismo or Morro Bay are both nice, you may want to consider Cambria, it is fairly quiet and very relaxing. We also like Avila Beach in the SLO area. www.centralcoast.com is a nice website to acquaint you with the this area. Have fun! :)

Newbury Park...
reviews: 27
2. Re: quiet beach town near la but far enough away...

I think you are thinking of Playa del Rey which is near the LAX. Pismo Beach is about 3 hours North of LA.

With a 5 year old - you may want to look into Carlsbad (about 30 minutes North of San Deigo - a couple of hours south of LA). Legoland is there- but it is a nice quiet beach town that you can drive into SD or LA if you want to.

Altadena, California
reviews: 5
3. Re: quiet beach town near la but far enough away...

if LA vicinity matters, possibly not quite as quaint but closer are beaches in Ventura and Oxnard. Pismo is not within 1-2 of LA, but further north than the two I mention I believe.

Altadena, California
reviews: 5
4. Re: quiet beach town near la but far enough away...

if you go south another consideration would be San Clemente - and smaller more quaint beaches just north of Laguna Beach are more quiet like I believe Crystal Cove and Salt Creek. Laguna is not quiet, but has awesome atmosphere.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 3
5. Re: quiet beach town near la but far enough away...

Catalina Island? I haven't been there in years, but I always liked going there as a kid, and it was pretty quiet.

reviews: 707
6. Re: quiet beach town near la but far enough away...

I agree with the previous poster about Laguna Beach, a very nice area to spend time in. We were there this past Dec. exploring the beaches, restaurants, shops and art galleries. One of my favorite areas of the CA coast! :)

Munich, Germany
reviews: 60
7. Re: quiet beach town near la but far enough away...

many many thanks. none of these are coming up in my searches so very keen and will take a look. spent 4 days in laguna some 10 years ago - so laid back it was near horizontal. more chilled out surfers chasing tiny waves than anything else. very nice. back then we rented a car - do i need to rent or can we bus to these places?

8. Re: quiet beach town near la but far enough away...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:36 am, September 26, 2009