We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant/itinerary help for 3 night stay

Which Pebble Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
restaurant/itinerary help for 3 night stay

My boyfriend and I will be spending 3 nights (Wed/Thurs/Fri) at Spanish Bay in July after spending some time up in San Fran. In addition to his tee times at Spyglass (10:00 on Thurs) and Pebble (7:30 on Friday), I also booked horseback riding for Friday afternoon when he is done with golf. I would also like to spend some time checking out Carmel and Big Sur. I was thinking about going straight to Carmel from San Fran Wednesday for lunch and then drive down Big Sur for a bit before checking into the hotel late afternoon/early evening, but would that give us enough time to check out the area? I don't really have a grasp of driving times around these areas from the hotel. I also made dinner reservations for Roys on Thurs. so we can catch the bagpiper first before going to dinner, but are there any other recommendations for good dinner options (I was thinking casual for Wednesday night since it will be a long day of driving and travel and then maybe something a bit nicer for Friday night). I'm open to any suggestions or tips as this will be the first time in the area for both of us!

2 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
1. Re: restaurant/itinerary help for 3 night stay

Roys would be well down the list as a resto recommendation. There are some good ones....but I have never had a great meal at any of the mainland Roys.

Try:

Passionfish

Pacific's Edge

MIssion Ranch

Casanova

Schooner's Coastal Kitchen

Monterey Peninsula...
2. Re: restaurant/itinerary help for 3 night stay

" I was thinking about going straight to Carmel from San Fran Wednesday for lunch and then drive down Big Sur for a bit before checking into the hotel late afternoon/early evening, but would that give us enough time to check out the area?"

Big Sur can take half a day to a full day depending on how much you want to see and how far south you go. The community of Big Sur is about 45 minutes south of Carmel without stops (and you will make stops for views, photos, etc.). Nepenthe, a famous restaurant and gift shop, is a good place to stop for views, food if you want, and browse the very nice gift shop. If that's as far as you go, you'll get a representative sample of Big Sur without having to drive too far.

Be advised, the highway is quite twisty in spots, and can be fairly slow going (25-30 MPH), especially near the Carmel highlands, between Bixby Bridge and the Little Sur River (which climbs to 600 feet above the ocean at Hurricane Hill and then plunges down to sea level at the river, all while clinging to the side of a steep cliff), and near Nepenthe. In other areas you can get the car up to 50 MPH with no problem unless you're stuck behind a motor home! Just be prepared for significant changes in road quality as you progress.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 7:54 pm, May 14, 2013
Reply to: restaurant/itinerary help for 3 night stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted