We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining Suggestions, Paso Wine Weekend

Which Paso Robles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 5
Dining Suggestions, Paso Wine Weekend

Hi all,

I'm visiting the area with a friend from the Bay Area for a girls weekend of wine and food. Plus a little spa time at the Paso Hotsprings.

I'd love to get recommendations for a unique, fun dinner. Dinner at a winery would be great, or any "can't miss" restaurants. We love a great meal with great wine.

Any suggestions?

Frazier Park...
reviews: 32
1. Re: Dining Suggestions, Paso Wine Weekend

Hi, I just got back from a great event at Silver Horse (highly recommend their wine if you get a chance; beautiful winery, too). At this time, my favorite restaurant in Paso is Bistro Laurent. We ate last weekend at Buona Tavola; very good. We have also enjoyed McPhee's in Templeton. You can check out pasowine.com to get info on the wineries, other restaurants, etc. We plan to try Matthew's at the Airport on our next trip. I do NOT recommend Deborah's Room, the restaurant at Justin Vineyards (but their wine is fantastic). If you are going the weekend of Oct. 20, a lot of the wineries are having events/dinners for the Harvest festival. Have a great time!

reviews: 767
2. Re: Dining Suggestions, Paso Wine Weekend

Buona Tavola is an excellent suggestion for Northern Italian food. We were considering a meal at Deborah's, could you elaborate on what you didn't like?

Paso is having their Annual Fall Wine Harvest Tour the end of this month, also. That's always a great time! :)

Frazier Park...
3. Re: Dining Suggestions, Paso Wine Weekend

Hi, Syrah Girl,

We had dinner at Deborah's Room a little less than two years ago. We had the tasting menu, with the accompanying wine flight. The food was delicious, but each course was literally the size of a silver dollar. I know a tasting menu has small portions, but these were Lilliputian. With the large amt. of wine we consumed, one of our dining companions became ill from the lack of food to compensate. It kind of ruined her weekend, as she was non-functional the next day, and she couldn't really enjoy the dinner with us at Eberle the next night. We even ordered the cheese plate in addition to the tasting menu, and it was a few little crackers with a few slices of cheese; really pathetic. Our bill for two couples with tip was about $550. Our dining companions wrote to Justin, & received an apology & a wine gift certificate (I wrote to the San Luis paper, which unfortunately didn't publish my comments). The service was excellent, but the tiny amt. of food was comical. I am not an unsophisticated diner, I wasn't expecting a feast, but this was ridiculous. In all fairness, it is quite possible they have improved the restaurant, but I personally wouldn't return. It is a lovely winery, and I love their Isoceles wine, especially.

4. Re: Dining Suggestions, Paso Wine Weekend

Thanks for the info, too bad abut your friend. Have you been to Tablas Creek? :)

California
5. Re: Dining Suggestions, Paso Wine Weekend

Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately we won't be there for the wine fest in October, we are going the weekend before Thanksgiving. Great time to buy some wine for the holidays. I'll check out the Italian place mentioned, sounds wonderful. I'll also visit the site of that winery. It would be a real treat to be somewhere for a special event, we'd love that.

Thanks!

California
6. Re: Dining Suggestions, Paso Wine Weekend

Is Justin the winery with the Isocoles wine? Someone recommended that to me, and I've been trying to remember which winery made it. Justin is sounding familiar.

Frazier Park...
7. Re: Dining Suggestions, Paso Wine Weekend

Hi, JLongo,

Yes, Justin has the Isoceles (wonderful wine). If you drive to Justin, en route or back, I suggest also visiting Norman (famous for the Monster), Opolo, Linne Calado & Turley. You can also taste olive oil at Pasolivo. Linne Calado & Turley are a little more pricey compared to a lot of Paso wineries, but are doing some amazing wines. I especially love the Ueberroth Zin & Old Vines zin at Turley. Definitely check out pasowine.com; you can get web sites for various wineries, & see if any are doing events/dinners the weekend you are going to be up there. In San Miguel (home of the wonderful Silver Horse winery), there is a great Basque restaurant, 10th St. Cafe; they have catered two different winery events I've attended.

Along 46 east, I highly recommend Eberle (they have a ton of events), Tobin James (very fun, Old West tasting room, but the wine you get through their club is much better than what they have in the tasting room), Clautiere, & EOS. You really can't go wrong in Paso, no matter where you taste...

If you take the coast route to Paso, I suggest stopping off at Laetitia (just outside Santa Maria) for the sparkling wine tasting.

Have a great time; I'm actually going to be back doing a little tasting Veteran's Day weekend...

Syrah Girl; I haven't tried the restaurant you asked about, is it good?

8. Re: Dining Suggestions, Paso Wine Weekend

Tablas Creek is a winery in Paso. We have not been there would like to visit when we do the Harvest Tour in a couple of weeks. We love Tobin James, Meridian, EOS, Bianchi, Wild Coyote (house of reds) and Peachy Canyon for their Zin. EOS does some nice dessert wines.

We are going to give Bistro Laurent a try this time after our wine tasting tour. I looked at the online menus and it looks good. What do you recommend there? :)

Frazier Park...
9. Re: Dining Suggestions, Paso Wine Weekend

Hi, Syrah Girl

I usually order the lamb, & the hubby gets filet or some other beef item. We've had dinner there several times & really enjoyed it. We liked the restaurant, Paris, also, but apparently that closed. I just love French food, & all things French. Next time you are in LA, I recommend Le Petit Bistro; it really reminds me of the cafes in Paris, & has excellent food. Have a great time at the Harvest Festival! If you get a chance, try Victor Hugo (you usually have to call for an appt., but they'll probably be open harvest weekend). Their petite syrah is outstanding, & you can pet two of the fattest, cutest chocolate labs you'll ever see (they look like two furry bowling balls).

10. Re: Dining Suggestions, Paso Wine Weekend

Thanks, we'll check out Victor Hugo. JLongo, I just thought of one place you have to go to: Wild Coyote, it's a really fun place with a Southwest theme to it. The gals that own the place are so much fun, there is also a B&B there. It is called the House of Reds, they are famous for their great Zins and Merlots. Cheers! :)

Get answers to your questions about Paso Robles