We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beautiful driving road...

Which Paso Robles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 146
Beautiful driving road...

I would like to find a road for a beautiful scenic drive in the Paso Robles area. Tight, rolling vineyards and over-hanging trees, you know the sort of thing! Where you go if you want a quintessential, stunning but serene, wine country drive.

Any recommendations would be welcomed and fully Google Street View researched!

Thank you.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 8
1. Re: Beautiful driving road...

Vineyard Drive north of Highway 46 is a lovely drive through oak studded hills, rolling vineyards/farms/ranches.

But my favorite drive in that area is York Mountain Road, which loops around and meets back up with Highway 46. Only one winery on that stretch (at least last time I drove it), but that's the road with lichen dripping from the trees that canopy over the road. Beautiful drive.... especially in the spring.

London, United...
2. Re: Beautiful driving road...

Thanks, Kibblesmom. I'd actually spotted Vineyard Drive myself. It's what prompted me posting my question. Good to get it backed up.

London, United...
3. Re: Beautiful driving road...

Looking at the map it looks like I could actually do Vineyard Drive and York Mountain Road in the same drive, which is great.

But which road would you advise I take to finish the loop? Bearing in mind I need to head north on the 101 straight from finishing this drive. The options seem to be Adelaida Road, Chimney Rock Road then San Marcos Road or Chimney Rock Road then Nacimiento Lake Drive.

LA/Paso
reviews: 37
4. Re: Beautiful driving road...

Definitely Vineyard Dr. on the westside and Geneseo on the east side.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
5. Re: Beautiful driving road...

You will want to do the York Mountain drive first. From Vineyard Drive going north (left turn from Highway 46 after York MTN Rd): continue to Adelaida Road, turn right and continue to Paso Robles Road. Turn right, continue to the 101, take northbound ramp toward SF.

London, United...
6. Re: Beautiful driving road...

So, you think we should take Adelaida Road and join the 101 at Paso Robles rather than take one of the other routes and join the 101 further north? Is that because it's a more scenic route? Quicker? Easier?

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
7. Re: Beautiful driving road...

I'm not familiar with the roads leading to Lake Nacimiento, so not sure if it would be scenic enough or worth the time involved. I suppose you could take the Klau Mine Road off Vineyard Drive over to Chimney Rock Road and connect with the Lake Nacimiento Road, but I have no idea how far out that puts you from getting back to the 101 to continue your drive. Hopefully, someone who lives up there and knows the back roads well will chime in with some suggestions.

London, United...
8. Re: Beautiful driving road...

Thanks.

I will look forward to any further replies.

But I think you are right and those other roads will take too much time to offer little extra. If I stick to the Vineyard-York Mountain-Adelaida loop I can be back on the 101 pretty quickly and on to pastures new!

9. Re: Beautiful driving road...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, February 01, 2012