We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Traffic Pasadena-Palm Springs

Which Pasadena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Visalia, CA
reviews: 37
Afternoon Traffic Pasadena-Palm Springs

Heading south to Palm Springs Friday and planning on taking 210-57-10. Will pass thru Pasadena around 4pm. Worried about traffic and wondering if I'd be better off leaving later and getting to that area around 6pm instead. Please advise. Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
1. Re: Afternoon Traffic Pasadena-Palm Springs

Heading south? Where are you starting your trip on that Friday?

Visalia, CA
2. Re: Afternoon Traffic Pasadena-Palm Springs

Visalia. Can't leave until 1pm. That puts me in Pasadena around 3:30-4pm.

pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
3. Re: Afternoon Traffic Pasadena-Palm Springs

I'd expect bad traffic starting in Pasadena and extending thru the Inland Empire at least, as commuters head home. Sorry. The 3-7 time period is slow, and by 4 is reliably bad.

pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
4. Re: Afternoon Traffic Pasadena-Palm Springs

However, the traffic on the 210 between the 5 junction near Santa Clarita and Pasadena should be wide open. I recommend the 210 over the 5 from that point. Also the 210 is the lesser of two evils when heading east from Pasadena through the East SGV. Even if it isn't moving, it is a nicer bit of roadway with a better view.

Alta Loma...
reviews: 27
5. Re: Afternoon Traffic Pasadena-Palm Springs

Friday evening (5-8 pm) traffic going east from San Gabriel area to Inland Empire is always slow, whether it is 210 or 10. But you say you can get to Pasadena by 3:30 or 4 -- that is actually not too bad. If you can get pass I-605 & 210 around 4, the thick of the traffic would be behind you. Instead of 57, I would just take the 210 all the way when it bends a shoulder down (at Highland) to meet the 10. 210 is a smoother/newer freeway than 10, so stay on it for as long as you can. I'd also take the 210 starting from the 5 (mile marker 161). I've driven that route several times when coming back from Lodi or Fresno.

Visalia, CA
6. Re: Afternoon Traffic Pasadena-Palm Springs

Appreciate all the help. Thanks.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
7. Re: Afternoon Traffic Pasadena-Palm Springs

Well....

Any drive through the greater LA area on a Friday afternoon is going to be a delay. Perhaps avoiding as much of LA as possible and taking Hwy 58 from Bakersfield to Barstow. Then take Hwy 15 S until the 210 and then the 10

Just a thought.

Dr. Z

California
reviews: 56
8. Re: Afternoon Traffic Pasadena-Palm Springs

I always do the 58 from Bakersfield when traveling to my condo in Palm desert. Beautiful drive with little traffic problems except in Redlands. Don't go to Barstow but take 395 from Kramer junction.

Edited: 10:25 pm, January 14, 2014
Reply to: Afternoon Traffic Pasadena-Palm Springs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted