We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who else got their NY's reservation cancelled at Sheraton ??

Which Pasadena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orange, California
reviews: 8
Who else got their NY's reservation cancelled at Sheraton ??

3 months after redeeming Starwood Points for our New Years stay at the Sheraton Pasadena, with printed confirmation, we got a phone call saying there had been a computer glitch and our reservation was CANCELLED. That is a blatant lie. There was no computer glitch....they are selling blocks of rooms to the Tournament of Roses.

Others have been affected and as one person who also had their reservations cancelled wrote...".I spoke with a representative at Tournament of Roses.com who are offering the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl Tour Packages. I asked her if rooms were available at the Sheraton Pasadena. After checking she said, "it looked like we were going to sell out at that hotel, but the Sheraton Pasadena was nice enough to open up some additional rooms for us last week. Unfortunately, the were only able to offer King Bed rooms. If that will work for you, please fax the reservation request to us as soon as possible so we can confirm your room at the Sheraton..."

I am furious. This is despicable that a hotel would do this. Now there are NO available hotel rooms in Pasadena over New Years. Going to the Rose Parade was #1 on my bucket list . I bought our 2 prime Grandstand tickets the first day they went on sale...now this.

What are others in my situation doing ?

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
1. Re: Who else got their NY's reservation cancelled at Sheraton ??

If we agree you were shafted, would that help anything? You've phoned Sheraton's central customer service number? You have proof there was no computer glitch? Not saying it wasn't deliberrate, but it also sounds like you're making what seems like a logical conclusion, not one you have proof of. I once booked a room at the LAX Sheraton through Priceline, and several weeks later Priceline informed me the Sheraton discovered it was full and Pricline put me in the Radisson. It happens.

Going to the Rose Parade is the top thing you want to do before you die? I've been. Nice. See other posts about getting to the Rose Parade from other areas on New Year's morning, even using public transportation (e.g., from downtown, Hollywood, etc.). You'll likely pay less for the hotel, too.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
2. Re: Who else got their NY's reservation cancelled at Sheraton ??

p.s. perhaps the rooms they released to the Tournament of Roses folks were already set aside for another block. Not sure you have proof of a lie and, more importantly, what difference it would make. Could they put you in, for example, the Sheraton in downtown L.A.? I think the Metro system opens early New Years Day.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
3. Re: Who else got their NY's reservation cancelled at Sheraton ??

I agree, their cancelling your reservation sounds suspicious and certainly doesn't make them look too good. In any case, at this point you'll have to try to make lemonade from lemons. There are two Starwood properties in downtown LA (the downtown LA Sheraton, and the "W" hotel at LA Live). From downtown LA, its fairly easy to head to Union Station, and from there take the Gold Line into Pasadena (I believe the Gold Line runs all night on New Years Eve and then all day on New Years Day). An alternative would be the "W" hotel in Hollywood, which is right above a station for the Red Line subway, and you can take the Red Line directly to Union Station where you can board the Gold Line. In any case, if it were me I'd see if Starwood would put you in one of the two mentioned "W" hotels for the same number of points you were going to use for the Pasadena Sheraton - the "W"'s are nicer and more expensive than the Sheraton in downtown LA, and I'm sure cost more reward points, but considering that they did indeed shaft you, maybe they'll give you some consideration.

pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
4. Re: Who else got their NY's reservation cancelled at Sheraton ??

Do you absolutely have to stay at a Starwood or are you open to other suggestions? There should be other hotels available at this early date, or you could stay downtown LA and take the Gold Line in. Or...just sleep in your own bed, get up early and drive. If you decide on that option, let us know and we will help you craft the most stress-and-traffic-free route possible to your seats.

Sorry about this, sounds infuriating.

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
5. Re: Who else got their NY's reservation cancelled at Sheraton ??

What you need to do, aside from making other arrangements, is to write a very strong letter of protest to the president of the Sheraton hotel, and demand to have your reservation restored. If you receive no satisfaction, then your next course of action would be to find a consumer advocate in the LA area (check local TV news stations) and file your complaint with them. Even if there is really a "computer glitch", it would be up to them to make other arrangements for you. Maybe book you at another location, with an upgrade. That would be the right thing to do from a customer service standpoint.

Also, if you know of others in your same situation, you may want to get a group together to file your complaint.

Edited: 2:10 pm, April 03, 2013
Dublin, California
reviews: 29
6. Re: Who else got their NY's reservation cancelled at Sheraton ??

To follow up, I am not a lawyer, but I think a contract is a contract. They cannot unilaterally cancel a contract.

Orange, California
reviews: 8
7. Re: Who else got their NY's reservation cancelled at Sheraton ??

Thanks for your replies. I have contacted Starwood Customer Service but have been unsuccessful trying to restore our reservation we made 3 months ago. When we received the telephone call last week the representative nonchalantly informed us there was a "glitch in the system" and our reservation was cancelled due to overbooking. I have had no success dealing with the Sheraton Pasadena Manager. After making the hotel reservation we purchased our Rose Parade tickets and made dinner reservations in Old Town Pasadena, all within walking distance of the hotel.

If you look at this website you will see that they are selling packages including the Sheraton. tournamentofroses.com/PasadenaTournamentofRo…

All extremely disappointing considering my spouse was a loyal Starwood Platinum member for 20+ years.

Barring anything out of the control of the hotel, when a reservation is made, that reservation should be honored.

pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
8. Re: Who else got their NY's reservation cancelled at Sheraton ??

Agree. I'd go higher up the food chain at Starwood before giving up. The bigger the title, the more flexibility and clout. Mention that you've been discussing this on Tripadvisor and other travel sites.

London, United...
reviews: 190
9. Re: Who else got their NY's reservation cancelled at Sheraton ??

I would suggest that you go to the 'top of the food chain' and write a letter of complaint to the CEO of the Sheraton hotel chain. Nine times out of ten this will get more action than anything else. You could also write to the Ombudsman at Conde Naste Traveler magazine - they can sometimes get problems like this resolved.

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 3
10. Re: Who else got their NY's reservation cancelled at Sheraton ??

Phebert, you're bringing up a 7 month old post. At this point, I would hope they had this all sorted out.