We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with planning Rose Parade 2014

Which Pasadena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anna
Help with planning Rose Parade 2014

The tournament of Roses is on my bucket list. I am making plans to make that happen in 2014. I need help. I am a Marriott card holder and would prefer to stay at one of their properties. My dilemma is I ultimately like to stay within walking distance to the parade and also get a decent price. Is Arcadia within walking distance or what transportation should I use to get there from Arcadia Hotel I plan on purchasing tickets to grandstand. We are flying from St. Louis, Mo. So what about shuttles to hotels or is taxi best from airport? How far is airport from Arcadia? I have not made airline arrangement yet so I could fly to whatever airport someone might suggest would be easier. I will not be driving while in LA area.

So I will need to know how to get around too Hope someone can make suggestions so I can start making arrangements.

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
1. Re: Help with planning Rose Parade 2014

No Arcadia is not walking distance to the parade route. Hotel within walking distance to the Rose Parade and "decent price" during the whole week before the parade are two opposite concepts. Hotels and motels near the parade route will triple their "normal" prices and want you to book multiple nights. There are several airports in the Los Angeles area. You may want to check flight prices into both LAX and Burbank, or even Ontario and Orange County airports.

Anna
2. Re: Help with planning Rose Parade 2014

Thanks for that info. I will continue to search for best prices for airports, hotels and etc. I'm bound to find something for my needs. I simply need to familiarize myself with the area best I can. Any other input is helpful. Or if others have great recommendations for what worked for them when not renting a car and flying into airport. I am open for suggestions.

Pasadena, California
reviews: 22
3. Re: Help with planning Rose Parade 2014

There is a Courtyard by Marriott in Old Pasadena. This is a perfect location for the Rose Parade. See if you can get a reservation there for a reasonable expenditure of Marriott Points. Prices anywhere in Pasadena will be very high.

Another option would be to stay at a Marriott property in Downtown LA, and take the light rail to Pasadena.

Burbank is the airport closest to Pasadena. However, figure out your accomodations before booking a flight-- you may end up staying elsewhere, such as Downtown LA or even Hollywood. If you stay walking distance to a light rail station, you should be able to get to Pasadena.

Look at old topics on the Pasadena forum for planning purposes-- there are lots of questions from previous years' parades, and the information doesn't change much from year to year. To do this, look at the box containing your question. Just above it is: Forums- California Forums- Pasadena Forum. Click on "Pasadena Forum" and you will see an index of topics on Pasadena, listed by date.

Regarding grandstand tickets: Be aware that there are grandstands all along the 5 mile route. Many of them offer little advantage over sidewalk viewing, other than a place to sit down. The best (and most expensive) grandstand seats are near the corner of Orange Grove and Colorado, or within a block or so of there. This is near the very beginning of the parade, when the bands are freshest; and because the TV cameras are located there, all the bands will be playing and the float animations will be at their best. So if this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, consider buying the best tickets available.

Edited: 10:50 pm, February 16, 2013
Pasadena, California
4. Re: Help with planning Rose Parade 2014

Joyce-

Don't forget to carefully read your posts from last Fall. Many of the questions you are asking were answered very completely there. If you have new questions, or if something was unclear, we will be happy to help.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 58
5. Re: Help with planning Rose Parade 2014

I think you would do well to consider staying in downtown LA - there are two Marriotts there - the newer JW Marriott, and the older downtown LA Marriott. Both of these hotels are near the Red Line subway, which you can use to get to Union Station. From Union Station, you can take the Gold Line light rail train into Pasadena - there are stations near most of the parade route.

In any case, if you do decide to stay in Pasadena, you might want to fly to Burbank airport (airport code BUR) rather than LAX, as its a much smaller airport (quicker to get in and out of) and is closer to Pasadena than LAX. On the other hand, there is less availability of non-stop flights to/from BUR depending on where you are travelling from, so it may make more sense to get a non-stop to LAX rather than a 1 or 2 stop flight to BUR.

A taxi from LAX to downtown LA is around $45 flat rate, but to Pasadena is probably in the vicinity of $80. More to Arcadia. Shared van shuttles are availabe (www.primetimeshuttle.com or www.supershuttle.com) from both LAX and BUR, and if there's only one or two people in your party, they're usually cheaper than a taxi. Their disadvantage is that they can take longer, as they can both circle the airport to try and fill up the van, and can also detour along the way to pick up or drop off other passengers before they drop you off.

Finally, if you do fly to LAX, there's the FlyAway bus from LAX to Union Station. If you stay in downtown LA, you can take the Red Line from Union Station to a subway station near your hotel, most likely. Likewise, if you stay in Pasadena, you can take the Gold Line from Union Station into Pasadena likely to a station in walking distance or a short taxi ride from your hotel.

Glendale, California
reviews: 432
6. Re: Help with planning Rose Parade 2014

I would call hotels and see which ones off shuttle services to the Parade route. There are many Pasadena Hotels within walking distance, which would be a great option, if you can find one for a decent price.

I lived right off the Parade route for several years and the entire city comes to a halt with the parade. Parking and navigating after the parade is a nightmare. You definitely either want to be able to walk it or have a shuttle deal with the hassle.

The other question is are you planning on getting seats in the stands or camping? I camped out a few years ago and even though it's an experience, I would NEVER do it again. I stayed with friends who camp out every year and it was a very long night. To get a prime spot, we had to be there at noon the day before and stayed until hours after the parade had ended. It was very cold and very miserable. We lucked out by being next to nice people and a woman who lived a block away and kept her house unlocked so that we could use her bathroom. The group dynamic is fun, but it is a really long night.

I would highly recommend getting seats in the stands!

Orange, California
reviews: 8
7. Re: Help with planning Rose Parade 2014

We too are going to the parade for the first time. I would suggest you get grandstand tickets ASAP, we have ours but I know they go quick (they went on sale Feb. 1). We were able to get a room for one night using Starwood points at the Sheraton on Cordova street. It appears to be about a 1 mile walk to where our Grandstand seats are (430 W. Colorado Blvd. - across from Norton Simon museum).

Like you, I've asked lots of questions and the folks on this board have been so helpful. I was happy to be able to use our points for the free night....you never know! Good Luck!

Altadena
reviews: 8
8. Re: Help with planning Rose Parade 2014

Follow Pasca's advice, check the forums from last year. Grandstands will ensure that you get a seat, but if you don't mind standing, you can stake out a place on the street an hour or so prior to the parade and not pay for the grandstands.

If it is much cheaper to fly into LAX than Burbank, you can get the LAX shuttle to Union Station and grab the Gold Line to Pasadena (my son does this sometimes), but you have to make sure you get in during the hours the Gold Line is running. You can get info at Metro.net.

Since you will not be driving in L.A., you need to plan out your sightseeing very carefully and choose a hotel/hotels based on your entire trip. Do you plan on going other places than the Rose Parade? If so, find hotels that either run shuttles or are close to public transportation. However, be aware that public transportation in the Los Angeles area (including the Orange County theme parks) is difficult, limited, and in some areas, non-existent. Your hotel should be able to give you advice on this.

Where else are you thinking of going?

Pasadena, California
9. Re: Help with planning Rose Parade 2014

Also, we can give you more tailored advice if we know a little more about you.

Are you 30, 80 or somewhere in between? Can you hike a mile or more to public transit, or do you need to be very near a good bus line? Are you interested in night life, or a quiet vacation? And, as Spiny sensibly asked, what ELSE do you plan to see while you are in LA...

The public shuttle from LAX to Union Station is called Flyaway. These buses are express, and stop at each LAX terminal before heading to a specific destination. There are a few different destinations, so it is important to get the Flyaway marked "Union Station".

Edited: 12:25 pm, February 18, 2013
10. Re: Help with planning Rose Parade 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 20, 2014