We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

neighborhood around langdom hotel

Which Pasadena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis, TN
reviews: 5
neighborhood around langdom hotel

I will be staying at the Langdom in May; is the neighborhood surrounding safe for a 3-4 mile stroll during the day or possibly at night?

Many thanks

Dublin, California
reviews: 32
1. Re: neighborhood around langdom hotel

You mean the Langham Huntington? It's in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in California. Although it's surrounded by residences. It's very safe walking in the day time. At night? It's going to be pretty dark and the streets are curvy. You may get lost. Or some of the neighbors may call the police about a stranger walking the streets.

Memphis, TN
2. Re: neighborhood around langdom hotel

ok, thanks. I have never been there and certainly look forward to it now.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
reviews: 27
3. Re: neighborhood around langdom hotel

Gorgeous neighborhood. Not walking distance to shops and entertainment, though. Make sure you walk by the Blacker House, a landmark home from @ 1910 by the Craftsmen architects Greene and Greene. It is a beauty, and only a few blocks from the hotel. There are a few other architecturally significant homes in the neighborhood too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_R._Blacker_House

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
4. Re: neighborhood around langdom hotel

If you have time during your stay, try to visit the Huntington Gardens, Gallery and Library (or just the Gardens); Old Pasadena and the nearby Norton Simon Museum.

Memphis, TN
5. Re: neighborhood around langdom hotel

Thank you and most certainly hope to visit both of your mentions. Also, if possible, if you know of a good Mexican restaurant in the area (I will have a car), I would appreciate that also.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
6. Re: neighborhood around langdom hotel

We like El Portal on Green Street in Pasadena. It has its own parking lot and a very nice outdoor patio. The Yucatan specialties are a favorite.

It is around the corner from the Pasadena Playhouse, if you are in the mood for a play in a beautiful old theater. Check Goldstar for discount tickets, often available.

Edited: 4:52 pm, February 15, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 369
7. Re: neighborhood around langdom hotel

Not far from the Langham I'd look at El Matate. Other than that I'd slip over to Eagle Rock and Highland Park for places like CaCao Mexicatessen, Huarache Azteca Restaurante, Las Cazuelas Restaurant & Pupuseria and El Arco Iris.

King Taco is a fun place in Old Pasadena for counter service.

Edited: 5:21 pm, February 15, 2013
Memphis, TN
8. Re: neighborhood around langdom hotel

It sounds like those are the places to go for good Mexican food; approximately how far (or driving time) would those be?

Thanks much

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 369
9. Re: neighborhood around langdom hotel

>>>It sounds like those are the places to go for good Mexican food; approximately how far (or driving time) would those be?<<<

Here is one example.

http://goo.gl/maps/sRQju

The rest will be about the same. You can get maps like the one above by subbing in the other restaurants.

If you are in that area and one to see of LA's greatest attractions, stop by Galco's.

http://www.sodapopstop.com/home.cfm

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
10. Re: neighborhood around langdom hotel

El Arco Iris was our favorite place when we were first married...about 30 years ago. Went back recently for a walk down memory lane, and were very disappointed. Everything tasted like it was out of a can.

Huarache is a real hole-in-the-wall. Loved by some. I've had better huaraches at a couple of other, no-name places, in Sylmar area. Pretty good though. Highland Park is very difficult to find a parking spot, esp. along York Blvd, as it is densely populated with not enough parking lots/garages.

Don't know the other two, but look forward to giving them a try.

El Portal has good food and a very nice ambiance, esp. the patio which is a local favorite.

Scott, you DO get around. You seem to know every restaurant between San Diego and San Francisco, while you live in Orange County... Are you Jonathan Gold in disguise?