We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose parade 2014' planning ahead

Which Pasadena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
reviews: 14
Rose parade 2014' planning ahead

I would like to come but don't like the high hotel room rates. Is there a way to stay in a more reasonable hotel and drive in and park. I will be getting grandstand seats. I also wish to go to the pre and post events. Or is there someplace i can call to get some help. I don't. Wish to do a tour group.

60 replies to this topic
pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
1. Re: Rose parade 2014' planning ahead

One suggestion--

Stay in Little Tokyo, a low-rise, increasingly residential, pedestrian friendly neighborhood of Downtown LA. Perhaps the Miyako Inn. Walk a block to the Gold Line station, and take the Gold Line light rail to all the events in Pasadena. It is about a 25 minute ride, runs like clockwork, very safe and clean, and they run extra trains and late hours during the New Year holiday period. This is probably the easiest and most tranquil way to go, and Little Tokyo puts you quite close to Pasadena, with a short ride in.

Of course, you can stay elsewhere in the LA area, and either take transit (depending on location) or drive in. Traffic will be VERY heavy in some locations, so if you decide on this option, check back with this forum for driving and parking suggestions once you start planning where to stay.

No need to do a group tour. I'm not sure why anyone spends the extra money unless they are very cautious and inexperienced travellers, or have health and mobility issues (in which case it might be helpful).

If you are trying to save money, be aware that grandstand seats are not neccessary, and are quite expensive. Educate yourself about the location of the grandstand seats, too. The primo ones near the corner of Orange Grove and Colorado are expensive, but worth it if you want to be in the very best location, near the tv cameras. However, there are grandstand seats all along the 5-mile parade route, and in my opinion there is no particular value to many of them, unless you must sit down. You are seeing exactly the same parade as the folks on the sidewalk, just from higher up (and farther back). Watching from a spot on the sidewalk east of Old Pasadena just requires getting there by @ 7 am, to be sure of finding a great spot on the sidewalk with not too many heads in front of you.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
2. Re: Rose parade 2014' planning ahead

I agree, I'd stay either around Little Tokyo or Union Station, or in one of the parts of downtown or Hollywood near the Red Line subway, which runs to Union Station. The Gold Line light rail train stops in Little Tokyo, Union Station (so you can use the Red Line to access it) and in Pasadena at several stops near the parade route. Hotels in all of these areas should be substantially cheaper than anything near Pasadena around New Years, and the Gold Line is by far the best way to Pasadena around New Years - much less headache and hassle than driving, taxi, or bus.

Here's a map that shows where the Pasadena area gold line stops are in relation to the parade:

http://goo.gl/maps/wf8h6

Driving to Pasadena on New Years day is not something I'd recommend, but if you want to "rough it", then nearby areas to look for lodging would include Burbank and Glendale.

Georgia
3. Re: Rose parade 2014' planning ahead

Thanks so much for both of your advice. I knew there had to be a better way to do this. How do I get to the post parade viewing of the floats if I take the light rail to the parade?

The other activities are different days so I imagine I would just drive to them. First time I have used this forum board and it has been quite helpful. Thanks.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
4. Re: Rose parade 2014' planning ahead

If you take the Gold Line light rail all the way to the last station (the Sierra Madre Villa Station) there's been a free shuttle from there to the float viewing area. I imagine there will be next year too. Otherwise if no shuttle you could walk it, its about 3/4 mile.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 342
5. Re: Rose parade 2014' planning ahead

Yup, Downtown and Little Tokyo and you can ride the light rail (Gold Line) from the grandstand seats to the float viewing area. It is also fun to go to the Rose Bowl area a day or two before the parade and see the floats pre-parade as they are just getting their flowers on. It is also a great way to familiarize yourself with the subway/light rail system.

Georgia
6. Re: Rose parade 2014' planning ahead

Wow you all have been so helpfull. Anyone know about volunteerring to help with float assembly. We would love to help put on the plant material. Not wanting to be put in an area that i am just carrying boxes or busy work.

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
7. Re: Rose parade 2014' planning ahead

Plenty of volunteer possibilities, but as a first timer you want to be promoted to the head of the line? You gain those positions by volunteering year after year and doing "busy work". Besides, you'll working through the night before the parade. So do you want to be up all night on new year's eve doing "busy work"?

Georgia
8. Re: Rose parade 2014' planning ahead

So maybe volunteering is not the best idea unless we were planning to visit year after year. I appreciate your being candid with me about how the volunteering process works. Makes sense and most likely they have to develop a sense of trust in you before they let you work with the plant material. Looking forward to seeing the floats in person..

pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
9. Re: Rose parade 2014' planning ahead

Might want to contact one of the "community built" float organizations. They are all-volunteer. This one, in South Pasadena, is conveniently located for public transit (on a major bus line) if you don't want to drive.

http://www.sptor.com/

Georgia
10. Re: Rose parade 2014' planning ahead

Thanks, i will check that out.

Reply to: Rose parade 2014' planning ahead
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted