We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Springs to flagstaff

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
burnley lancs
reviews: 12
Palm Springs to flagstaff

Hi All,

Travelling from Palm Springs to flagstaff, should we take in lake havasu city or bypass it, makes about 30 minutes difference to the journey.

Any tips on the journey appreciated.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 8
1. Re: Palm Springs to flagstaff

Depends on if you want to see London Bridge or not.

There are quite a few routes you could take.

PS to 29 Palms to Amboy and see Roy's Cafe and Route 66 to I-40

PS to Hwy 95 on the California side up to Needles to I-40

PS to Hwy 95 on the Arizona side via Parker or Parker dam to Havasu to I-40

Interstate 10 to Phoenix then up 17.

burnley lancs
2. Re: Palm Springs to flagstaff

Thanks Dez40,

we are more interested in a scenic route, so not sure what is Roy's cafe.

What do you suggest , don't fancy the Phoenix interstate option.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
3. Re: Palm Springs to flagstaff

Roys is a landmark on R-66. An old cafe/motel and gas station.Cafe and motel not operating, gas pump is. Fairly desolate route, but use it to get to Vegas from PS several times per year.

Heading to either of the hwy 95 routes, there is a shoe fence near Rice that is worthy of a picture.

The California hwy 95 is a fairly scenic desert route.

If you want to see water and civilization go up the Arizona 95 side.Rather than cross the bridge into Parker ,you can follow the road on the other side of the river, and cross over the river at Parker Dam.You would eventually end up at the same place. You can get out and look at the dam turbine monument and look out over Lake Havasu.Maybe some burros on the route. Then continue and stop and check out London Bridge.Pictures.

https:/…

Either of the 95 routes would probably be best for you.

California
4. Re: Palm Springs to flagstaff

Palm Springs to Flagstaff, the scenic way? Wow, this is an easy question for me!

From Palm Springs, take Interstate-10 east to Arizona. Just inside Arizona, you will leave the freeway when you take Highway 60, then Highway 71, and then Highway 89 to Prescott, Arizona. I think you will love Prescott. It is in the high country of Arizona and you will be in pine trees with some juniper trees. It is a very pretty historic town with a very pretty town square where the beautiful courthouse is located. The population of the entire area is around 100,000 but you won't notice that many people because everything is spread out.

So, plan to spend a couple of hours in Prescott. Maybe have lunch at the Peacock Dining Room in the historic Hassayampa Hotel right across from the historic courthouse park.

Leave Prescott, AZ by way of Highway 89 north, then take Highway 89A as it branches off a few miles north of Prescott. Now you are on your way to Sedona, AZ and the beautiful red rock scenery. In between Prescott and Sedona you will come to Jerome, AZ which is situated on the mountainside of Mingus Mountain. Jerome is an old minig town turned artsy. Once you leave Jerome still on Highway 89A, you will come down from the mountain on the north side of the mountain and you will come to Sedona, AZ. Plan to spend some time in Sedona. Leave Sedona by way of Highway 89A north and enjoy the beautiful scenery along Oak Creek Canyon. (This is not the freeway route.) It is perhaps 50 miles from Sedona to Flagstaff in what is one of the most beautiful parts of the country. You'll see what I mean.

I've made the trip many times from Palm Springs to Prescott. The drive time is around 4 hours to Prescott over very good roads. You could do this entire route in one day if you left Palm Springs by say, 9:00 in the morning -- arrive Prescott at 1:00, have lunch, leave Prescott at 3:00, arrive Sedona at 4:30, leave Sedona at 6:00, arrive Flagstaff at 7:00 or 7:30 in the evening.

If you have the time, an overnight in either Prescott or in Sedona is a good idea -- just to soak in the good vibe!

Have fun -- I am jealous!

Edited: 5:30 pm, March 01, 2013
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Palm Springs to flagstaff

That is another great option!

California
6. Re: Palm Springs to flagstaff

The *jealous* poster is back again --

You got me to thinking about more places to have lunch in Prescott! If you would like something more trendy rather than historic, another favorite place of ours to eat is the Wildflower Bread Company in the Prescott Gateway Mall.

This is locaed east of downtown Prescott and east of the intersection of where you would turn to travel north to Jerome and Sedona. (Did I say that in a confusing way? Hope not. In other words, if you get to the Gateway Mall, you need to back track west a mile or two to pick up Highway 89 that heads north out of town.)

Go to www.wildflowerbread.com and for locations, key in the Prescott zip code of 86303. Bingo!

Edited: 8:17 pm, March 01, 2013
California
7. Re: Palm Springs to flagstaff

Sorry -- misspelled word that I did not catch. It should read:

This is *located* east of downtown Prescott . . .

burnley lancs
8. Re: Palm Springs to flagstaff

Thanks folks, I'd like to see it all but will have to choose I guess. I'll get the map out and start planning. Great advise from you all, there is so much to see.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
9. Re: Palm Springs to flagstaff

It also depends on your interest for R66. From Needles (Topock) you can drive one of the best parts of it via Oatman to Kingman but I agree, also the route via Prescott is very scenic once you''re off I10 and you'll see Saguaro Cacti on the way and not if you drive via Needles.

California
10. Re: Palm Springs to flagstaff

Yes, I agree that the desert landscape once you leave Interstate 10 east of Blythe, CA and the CA/AZ state line is so pretty -- the saguaros, the ocotillo especially if they are blooming, the cholla and the close-up dark-sanded mountains! It's all so pretty against a deep blue sky with a few puffy clouds, or no clouds at all, for that matter!

I also enjoy the bit of agriculture at a few points along the Highway 60 route.

GAS STATIONS: There are a couple -- just a couple -- of strategically placed gas/fuel stations along this route: the 60 - 71 - 89 route to

Prescott..

Don't let your gas get below the half mark because know that you will be going up a (wonderful and scenic) mountain just before arriving into Prescott, AZ. Mountains can really suck up gas quite quickly!

Edited: 10:08 pm, March 02, 2013