We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miramonte vs. Esmeralda for Family of 5

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
66 reviews
Miramonte vs. Esmeralda for Family of 5

Our family of 5 is thinking of heading out to the desert in early April and are trying to choose between these 2 hotels. My kids are 12-14 years old. The Miramonte is cheaper and the room also has a nice patio, but the Esmeralda has a nicer pool, more eating choices and seems to have more of a resort feel. The room is also a little bigger, but no patio. From some reviews it seems that the Esmeralda's rooms may be in better shape.

Anyone have any additional info. that would make the decision easier?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
14,297 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Miramonte vs. Esmeralda for Family of 5

With kids I would probably choose the Esmeralda. Has a nice beach sand pool.

Another place you might look is Rancho las Palmas. They have a splashtopia pool and its walking distance(across the street) to the River shopping/dining/ entertainment complex.

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Miramonte vs. Esmeralda for Family of 5

Thanks for the reply. We have been to Rancho Las Palmas before and it was good for the kids when they were younger. It's a little crowded and crazy there for us at this point, but it is good for younger kids. We were able to stay at a condo and use the facilities. We're looking for something good for the kids but also a little more subdued this time.

Level Contributor
29,756 posts
790 reviews
3. Re: Miramonte vs. Esmeralda for Family of 5

We used the spa and hair salon at Esmeralda and thought their pools looked very nice. It's a beautiful hotel! :)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
16,370 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Miramonte vs. Esmeralda for Family of 5

We've stayed a number of times at the Esmeralda, and the pool facillities are far superior to the motel like Miramonte pool. So many more restaurants at Esmeralda, and our favorite Italian one, Sirocco is located off the stunning lobby.

The Hyatt Grand Champion, across from Esmeralda has large rooms and 7 swimming pools, including an adult only one. There are rooms with 2 Q beds, and a step down living room area with sofa bed, that could probably fit 5 in a room, unless you were getting two connecting rooms at the Esmeralda.

If you are going during Easter or Spring break, make your reservations early.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Miramonte vs. Esmeralda for Family of 5

We have stayed at both. The Miramonte room we ended up with was huge. The hotel had more of a cozy feel.

The Esmeralda has a very nice pool area which I think would be great for the kids. The room was fine. They have a terrific breakfast buffet....

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: Miramonte vs. Esmeralda for Family of 5

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the best choice may be the Esmeralda. I have also stayed at the Hyatt, but I know that because of all the pools it can draw a lot of young kids and can get crowded and noisy. Esmeralda is new to us so maybe I'll try it.

bristol
Level Contributor
243 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Miramonte vs. Esmeralda for Family of 5

sorry to hijack your post but you seem ro have been top palm springs a lot. i am currently booked in the westin and have a brilliant rate for the presidential suite, think it must have benn a mistake! howvere the reviews are a bit worrying. any thoughts?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
155 reviews
8. Re: Miramonte vs. Esmeralda for Family of 5

A friend of mine has been involved with several events at the Esmeralda and he can't say enough wonderful things about the place. He says the accommodations and service are top quality. (I haven't been there myself)

As for the Westin, if you are referring to the Westin Rancho Mirage, I have stayed there. Nice rooms but I absolutely HATED the location, miles from everything. I felt hostage on the resort property and the hotel seemed to take advantage of its isolated location by charging outrageous prices for food and beverages. Even the resort itself is difficult to get around. The room I had was so far out, I drove to the conference center.

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
66 reviews
9. Re: Miramonte vs. Esmeralda for Family of 5

I've certainly never stayed in the presidential suite, but I have stayed at the Westin Mission Hills Villas and it was very nice.

bristol
Level Contributor
243 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Miramonte vs. Esmeralda for Family of 5

i dont normally! just got a fab rate! not sure what to do . was it clean there?