We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airports

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Airports

We are from New Jersey and will be visiting Palm Springs next spring. We can't get a direct flight. So we have a couple of choices, change over in Chicago or Dallas/Ft Worth or fly direct to San Diego or LA. Any suggestions?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 1,778
1. Re: Airports

The closest airport (if you cannot fly into Palm Springs) is Ontario Airport. From Ontario Airport it is about an hour drive to Palm Springs on the I-10. Of course, you can fly into San Diego or LA and drive it too, but Ontario is closest if you cannot get a direct flight into Palm Springs.

The other two airports to consider (about 2 to 2 and a half is)

Burbank or John Wayne (Orange County) airport.

Since it sounds like its a change over in Chicago or Dallas, you might want to do that if less than an hour or two lay over and if the price is right. (Palm Springs airport is pretty small so not surprised its hard to get a direct flight.) Ontario is larger.

California
reviews: 12
2. Re: Airports

We arrived at Onterio and drove to PS. Thought the traffic was a pain around noon on a Friday. With less traffic the drive was fine not really very long either.

California
3. Re: Airports

We arrived at Onterio and drove to PS. Thought the traffic was a pain around noon on a Friday. With less traffic the drive was fine not really very long either.

London, United...
4. Re: Airports

We are from London England and visit Palm Springs twice yearly.Use to fly to LA but now fly via Dallas Fort Worth into Palm Springs Airport. Much easier than driving from LA. Have a good trip!

San Francisco...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Airports

The traffic is very bad from ONT to Palm Springs, it is 75 miles one way but ANY time of day you can hit heavy traffic, except late at night.

PSP is a simple aiport to land at and navigate- if AT ALL possible, try to come in thru Dallas or Houston ( Continental ).

Southern California
reviews: 13
6. Re: Airports

American Airlines has a direct flight from O'Hare to PSP. When I've flown it I've been able to get reasonable fares.

Also, America West flies into PSP from Las Vegas and Phoenix.

NC
reviews: 1
7. Re: Airports

Flew to PSP via DFW on American. Great flight. PSP is a fine little airport - you would do well to try and fly into it. Great car rental rates, too!

SE PA
reviews: 1
8. Re: Airports

We live just north of Philadelphia and visited San Diego and Palm Springs the first 2 weeks of May. The 2nd week we were in PS and flew home out of Ontario with a stop in Salt Lake (no direct flights out of ONT). But I saved about $350 on airfare (for 2) leaving from ONT rather than the PS airport. It took me exactly one hour to drive from PS to ONT on a Fri. morning (and there was less traffic going toward PS). If you have a rental car there is a gas station at the ONT airport exit off of 10. The flight from ONT to Salt Lake was one of the most scenic that I have ever been on. We flew on Delta from ONT to PHL.

Palm Desert
9. Re: Airports

I'd also recommend Jet Blue. I usually fly from Ontario to New York. Try to schedule your arrival at Ontario in the morning or early afternoon to avoid traffic. And on the return, an afternoon or evening flight. (Except on Sunday, you'll hit the Las Vegas, River traffic, you'll want to return in the morning)

Los Angeles, CA USA
reviews: 2
10. Re: Airports

I'd recommend changing planes at one of the airline's hubs and flying in to Palm Springs Airport. It would be a hassle to drive from ONT, LAX or SAN after a long flight. Connections aren't that bad and in this day and age of "Hub and Spoke" airlines they are unavoidable sometimes. Enjoy Palm Springs, and try to have a meal at Las Casualas Terraza and Bonaducci's.