We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Marriott timeshare and villa location in Feb 2014?

Which Palm Desert hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 4
Which Marriott timeshare and villa location in Feb 2014?

We are a married couple (55+) traveling to Palm Desert in February 2014 and enjoy golf and like to see the sunsets on a patio with a nice glass of wine. We usually rent private homes through VRBO in Palm Desert but decided to buy a friend's timeshare for two weeks and are wondering about which one to choose. Our choices are Shadow Ridge, Desert Springs I and Desert Springs II. Which one would you choose and since here are many different buildings to pick from, which villa location? Prefer not to be around kid's activities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

16 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 1,157
1. Re: Which Marriott timeshare and villa location in Feb 2014?

We have stayed at Marriott - both one and two. One tends to attract more kids as the pool is larger and also since its closer to the resort restaurant area, etc. Desert Villa II was perfect in our opinion as the pool was nice; the barbecue areas (several) stellar, and the time share units nice. Its also easy to drive off the property (i.e. day outings, etc.). It is gated, but still easy to get off property and on your way. Units are nice. The only thing we did not like the week(s) we checked in is arriving at their check-in hour (i.e. first hour you can check into unit). Each time we have found the line rather long - you might want to time it a bit later if you have an assigned unit to avoid the rush.

In terms of specific buildings in Desert Villa II to rent, I would ask for one across the road from the swimming pool area so it is far enough away, but close enough to enjoy Other than that, any of the units would be nice.

Minneapolis...
2. Re: Which Marriott timeshare and villa location in Feb 2014?

Great! Thanks for your input. I've heard checking in can be an issue at timeshares. We'll probably get a mountain view to stay away from the road and pool. Not sure where we'll stay yet but will ask around and do some research.

Media, PA
reviews: 11
3. Re: Which Marriott timeshare and villa location in Feb 2014?

We are similar to you and love Shadow Ridge. Ask for mountain views. You might not get a direct sunset view, but you'll get the backlighting. Ask for villas closest to entrance on the right as you come thought the gate. I think they are buildings 1000 and 1100. You'll be far enough from the pool noise, close to the lobby building, and could walk to the golf checkin, if not bringing your own clubs. Of course, ask for the third floor. Families tend to stay on the first floor.

For more sunset views go to Cliff House in LaQuinta and ask for a sunset table. It's a uniques restaurant.

Have a great time!

Minneapolis...
4. Re: Which Marriott timeshare and villa location in Feb 2014?

Thanks for the informaton. Will keep that in mind for villas. We will bring our own clubs and plan to play a few courses. I've also heard the Cliff House has a great happy hour on Tuesdays with fish tacos. Good suggestions.

San Diego
reviews: 127
5. Re: Which Marriott timeshare and villa location in Feb 2014?

I've stayed at all 3 and am an owner of DSV2. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the 3.

If you are staying at the end of Feb. you might run into spring break and the resulting commotion. Early Feb may be "safer".

All 3 of those Marriott timeshares have adult/quiet pools. Sometimes noisy people/kids will show up which may necessitate a call to security. Advice: don't use the pool phone to call security. Use your cell. It will be less obvious.....

DSV2 is split into 2 areas: the main area and Jasmine court. If you want a location that is a bit more secluded and quiet, ask for Jasmine. You can still use the rest of the facility and there is free shuttle service.

At both DSV1 and 2, they share the same activity center, "The Shade". This is used by adults and kids.

The main pool complex at DSV2 is called the Palmeras pool. I think that there are actually 3 or 4 pools there. If you look on maps.google.com you can see what I mean. They also have a cantina for beverages and food.

A recommendation: rent at least a 1 br unit and NOT a guest suite. The guest suite is basically a hotel type room - - small. DSV1 was the first built and the units are the largest of the 3. DSV2 was built next and the units are a little smaller. Shadow Ridge was built 3rd and the units are smaller. Shadow Ridge Enclaves, is still under construction (a potential factor for you). At the Enclaves it is possible to either get the smaller 1 BR or the larger 1 br. Be aware. All of the 1 BR and 2 BR units come with a full kitchen and a washer and dryer (which really makes it easy to pack for a week's vacation).

My personal impression is that Shadow Ridge tends to have a slightly younger crowd and more families. DSV1 tends to have longer-term timeshare owners and might be a slightly older crowd. DSV2 is in the middle.

BTW, if you stay at DSV1, you can use the JW Marriott (hotel) Spa and tennis courts for free during the week. We checked them out and they are nice. But we aren't "Spa people" I guess.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
6. Re: Which Marriott timeshare and villa location in Feb 2014?

We visited friends, 50+ in Shadow Ridge last weekend and went out to dinner. That would be where we'd stay if limited to Marriott.

By the way, Taco Tuesday is repeated on Taco Thursday at the Cliff House Grill and Bar.

www.cliffhousegrillandbar.com/cliffhouse-bar

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 137
7. Re: Which Marriott timeshare and villa location in Feb 2014?

Shadow Ridge is more golf-focused. I'd stay there.

bronx, ny
8. Re: Which Marriott timeshare and villa location in Feb 2014?

I prefer Shadow Ridge. I ask for a room near the quiet pool. Walk out there with a pitcher of my favorite "beverage" and I"m good for hours! Love it there! And with Walmart down the road, it's easy to pick up whatever you need whenever you need it.

Rancho Cucamonga
reviews: 86
9. Re: Which Marriott timeshare and villa location in Feb 2014?

I am an owner at Shadow Ridge as are my parents (71/68) and they loved Shadow more than Desert Springs, for a couple reasons. Its more secluded, the balconies are bigger and the views are better/farther since they aren't as close together and they are more on the edge of town rather than in an older section of town.

Minneapolis...
10. Re: Which Marriott timeshare and villa location in Feb 2014?

Thank you all for your insights as to the villas. We have decided on going back to a VRBO, but may choose a timeshare another time. Wonderful suggestions! Sounds like Shadow Ridge impresses most...

Reply to: Which Marriott timeshare and villa location in Feb 2014?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted