We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying overnight in joshua tree park

Which Palm Desert hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
staying overnight in joshua tree park

Hi! Does anyone have info on staying overnight in the park? I know that camping is allowed, but am wondering if there is any other option?

Do you have to get permits? Where is the best place to get more?

Los Angeles...
reviews: 69
1. Re: staying overnight in joshua tree park

There is no hotel or inn, only campgrounds. I've camped at Black Rock, near the town of Yucca Valley. They take reservations though when I was there, though whether you need them would depend on time of year/day of week. As for back country camping, I don't think that it is allowed in the park itself but there are some BLM areas nearby where it seems to be okay - see link to BLM areas on this page:

nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

If you want to stay in a motel/inn, there are several in Yucca Valley, 29 Palms, etc...

Orange, California...
2. Re: staying overnight in joshua tree park

You have to buy a 15$/ 7 day permit to enter the park, but you also have to reserve your campsite and pay a separate fee to camp. The camping fee runs an additional 10$ per night.:

www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/camping.htm

If you're looking for other hikes in the area, you can check out this website.

http://southcaladventures.blogspot.com/

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 8
3. Re: staying overnight in joshua tree park

If you want to see pictures of the campgrounds and specific campsites check out this link.

www.campsitephotos.com

California
4. Re: staying overnight in joshua tree park

Only camping is allowed inside the park. There is no national park lodge inside the park -- no hotel, no food inside the park.

The main Visitor Center for this national park is at the park headquarters located in the town of Twentynine Palms. There are other visitor centers also such as in the town of Joshua Tree, CA and another at Cottonwood in the southern part of the park near Interstate 10 and Indio, CA.

For lodging, I highly recommend www.roughleymanor.com in Twentynine Palms, CA.

Edited: 4:04 am, February 15, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
5. Re: staying overnight in joshua tree park

Thank you for all the info. I will check into booking camping sites and check

the hiking trails.

6. Re: staying overnight in joshua tree park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 17, 2014