We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP: Trip from Vancouver to Disneyland with Travel Trailer

Which Pacifica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, Canada
HELP: Trip from Vancouver to Disneyland with Travel Trailer

We are planning a trip from Surrey BC, Canada to Disneyland California on March 22nd 2013. We plan to clear the border and drive to Tacoma, WA on the 21st, sleep at Walmart parking lot that night as we'll probably get there late and just need to crash for the night. I have booked Anaheim RV Resort Campground from March 24th to 29th. So we have basically Friday and Saturday all day and part of Sunday to get from Tacoma WA to Anaheim. We would like to know if you have any suggestions of where to camp in the Oregon for Friday night and maybe around Sacramento area on Saturday night before we head down to LA on Sunday morning. I see there are a lot of nice state parks but I've never been down in that area so any suggestions of where it's good to be with the kids 10 yrs and 7 yrs would be helpful. Also on the way back, we are planning on taking # 1 from LA to SF and spend a day (Friday) in SF. I've heard it's a beautiful place but would like to know what are the major spots we should try and see and also if there is a nice Campground that you would recommend in SF to be able to park in and then go site seeing. We have a Chevy Silverado half ton pulling a 19' travel trailer. I've heard the mountain passes can be hard but hopefully we shouldn't have major issues as the truck is only a couple of years old. We have Saturday, Sunday and Monday to get back to Surrey and we were planning on taking #101 from SF up to Astoria and then east to merge on to I5 again to Seattle/Canada. If anyone know of any nice destinations on route #101 where we could camp for the night I would really appreciate it.

Not sure if this is too ambitious especially considering that we're pulling the trailer and driving in LA and SF is a ZOO but I would really like to hear your opinions.

Thank in advance.

6 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 56
1. Re: HELP: Trip from Vancouver to Disneyland with Travel Trailer

Hi newrvtraveler

I think the folks on the Oregon forum will help you with your travel questions. The best helper is half-Brit as she has years of RV experience.

Pulling a trailer into San Francisco? I wouldn't even want to drive the truck into the city! Yikes.

Details about the Hwy 1 drive from L.A. area to San Francisco are included in the Top Questions on the CA forum in the upper right. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

This forum is about the small town of Pacifica. For suggestions about traveling in the state of California, I think the CA forum is the best place to ask. I'm not sure if your too-many-miles / not-enough-time return drive should be discussed here or if you'll be making a new thread on the CA forum. If you do repost, be more clear.

Booked Anaheim RV resort 3/24 - 3/29 means you leave 3/29 or 3/30?

Visiting SF on Friday 3/29?

Driving from Anaheim to BC via the coast in 3 days 3/30, 3/31 (Easter), & 4/1 ?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
2. Re: HELP: Trip from Vancouver to Disneyland with Travel Trailer

I would also put this question on the Road Trip forum, since you are traveling from Canada through two states besides California.

As PNW said, this forum is for the small town of Pacifica, CA, south of San Francisco.

Edited: 8:05 pm, February 16, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: HELP: Trip from Vancouver to Disneyland with Travel Trailer

This posting is also on the California forum.

Of course we're all different but my idea of vacation is not sleeping in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Ick.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
4. Re: HELP: Trip from Vancouver to Disneyland with Travel Trailer

Yes, ICK. In another thread, I mentioned our doing it once in Anchorage when we arrived after dark, picked up an RV and it was pouring rain. Actually, creepy is more like it, since we woke up in the morning in a parking lot surrounded by RV's and a man in a yellow slicker putting advertising flyers on the windshields. (for Walmart, of course). I wouldn't do it unless there were no other choice.

Edited: 8:42 pm, February 16, 2013
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
5. Re: HELP: Trip from Vancouver to Disneyland with Travel Trailer

LOL, lots of RVers do it and it's just fine. We've "boondocked" many times, sometimes in Walmarts. However, as I have told the OP on the Oregon forum, many cities have ordinances against overnighting within city limits (unless in an RV park) , so they'll need to do some research first.

Too many miles planned for their short time, though, I think. Many new to RVing don't realize the extra time required because they can't be driven at "car" freeway speeds!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
6. Re: HELP: Trip from Vancouver to Disneyland with Travel Trailer

A lot of RV'ers park on the streets of Santa Cruz, which is against the city ordinance. Because of the homeless problem and the fact that some homeless own decrepit RV's, and stay, like, forever, the gendarmes do a sweep.

So, as half-Brit says, I would not try it (boondocking?) unless I did some research first. The fines can be heavy.

Reply to: HELP: Trip from Vancouver to Disneyland with Travel Trailer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted