We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late evening arrival to airport, Stay en route to Sonoma?

Which Pacifica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Macon, Georgia
reviews: 48
Late evening arrival to airport, Stay en route to Sonoma?

Late evening arrival to San Francisco airport.. Will be picking up the rental car.. I'm thinking we don't want make the drive to Sonoma that night. If someone could suggest an interesting little town to stay in maybe 20 or so miles away from the airport? !st trip to Northern California, so I'm appreciative of ideas.

15 replies to this topic
Pope Valley...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Stay en route to Sonoma?

You might look at Half Moon Bay. Or, you could stay around the airport, take the shuttle bus and then pick up your rental car the next morning.

Macon, Georgia
2. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Stay en route to Sonoma?

Thanks for that idea, had not thought of that!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
3. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Stay en route to Sonoma?

What time are you coming in. It is about an hour and a half without traffic and I would just drive to Sonoma instead of wasting time at a mid point. If that is too much perhaps you can cross the Golden gate bridge and stay in Marin County

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
4. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Stay en route to Sonoma?

After a flight from the east and a late evening arrival I can't think of anything more sensible than taking an airport shuttle to a nearby hotel and crashing for the night. Then getting up in the am, take the shuttle back to the airport to pick up your car, and go to Sonoma.

When you do that, take Hwy 380, off 101, slightly north of the airport, to Hwy 280 and follow that to San Francisco. Then, going through the city, just follow the signs to the Golden Gate Bridge and you will be on Hwy 101.

When you say "Sonoma", do you mean the historic *town* of Sonoma, or somewhere in Sonoma County?

Half Moon Bay is not a practical solution, since you have to drive over to the coast and then back to get on the road to Sonoma, and, while it is charming, I don't think that will be what you are looking for after your flight.

I also would not drive to Sonoma that night. I cannot imagine that scenario for myself after a flight across the country. the drive will be so much more pleasant the next morning.

Edited: 8:22 pm, February 27, 2012
Macon, Georgia
5. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Stay en route to Sonoma?

Puter, Our thoughts exactly.. Historic town of Sonoma... I've been told it is much nicer and less touristy than Napa.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
6. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Stay en route to Sonoma?

Different people travel differently. When we go to the East coast and have to go about a couple of hours., we do it that evening so that we can get a head start the next morning. I am speaking about a vacation trip not my numerousr business trips. But as I mentioned if you don't want to do that and I respect that perhaps you can stay in Marin County. The SFO airport area hotels are pretty boring but if you are tired then by all means please stay at SFO. :-)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
7. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Stay en route to Sonoma?

>>Puter, Our thoughts exactly.. Historic town of Sonoma... I've been told it is much nicer and less touristy than Napa.<<

Well, they are different, for sure. I grew up in the town of Sonoma, so I am biased. Napa is a nice town/city, and they have done a lot of flood control from the Napa River so that they have been able to do "riverfront" property restaurants and shops, etc. and the town/city is coming along nicely for the tourist business.

Here is a website which describes the history of the town of Sonoma. (You can walk from the Plaza to a couple of winereies, by the way....if you are good walkers.)

www.sonomacity.org/default.aspx?PageId=3

Edited: 9:54 pm, February 27, 2012
Berkeley, Ca.
reviews: 73
8. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Stay en route to Sonoma?

It's actually about 15 miles from the airport to downtown San Francisco, and it's in the right direction. There are obviously plenty of hotels to choose from. If I were the one traveling, I'd probably do that, but I'm a big fan of cities.

Most San Francisco hotels charge a lot for parking, but there are a number of motor inns that don't. You can check them out on Tripadvisor's San Francisco hotels page, by selecting Free Parking under refine search. I'll say that I've always been intrigued by the Ocean Park Motel listed there, a near-beach hotel away from the city core, but I haven't stayed there.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
9. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Stay en route to Sonoma?

I don't get it.

If you are arriving on a late flight into SFO and wanting to go to Sonoma, what is the advantage of picking up a car and driving into the city, paying an exorbitant parking fee ( or not if you stay in a moteli n the Marina) and then having to drive through the city the next morning to get to Sonoma?

If OP wants to visit San Francisco, fine. But that is not what OP asked for.

Macon, Georgia
10. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Stay en route to Sonoma?

Thank you all so much,,, I am getting great advice.. and this really helps with the decision making process.. Keep it coming!

Reply to: Late evening arrival to airport, Stay en route to Sonoma?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted