We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Grove Hotel/Shopping

Which Pacific Grove hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Augusta, Georgia
reviews: 75
Pacific Grove Hotel/Shopping

Hello all-husband & I are taking a long overdue trip at the end of March to Pacific Grove/Monterey. Have tickets to visit the Aquarium & want to spend some time at Point Lobos but other than those two things, we want to just walk about(meandering is more our style), do some shopping(hoping for unusual or funky shops) & of course walk some of the beautiful coastline. We'll have 3 days in that area(coming from 2 days in Santa Cruz)and going on to Sonoma for the next few days after. We have reservations at the moment at the Sunset Inn in PG for 3 nights-husband found a deal online-but not sure if this is a good place to be for getting around on foot in town. Also looked at Portola Hotel/Spa & Hotel Abrego in Monterey(for their special rates quoted) & thinking one of these might be better to be able to walk to the Aquarium. Can someone local give me advice on this & maybe point me in the direction of the streets that we might find the best shopping in either town. Also, any other suggestions would be appreciated, i.e., restaurants, best stretches of coastline, etc. We just want to have a relaxing time to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Thanks for any help!

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 8
1. Re: Pacific Grove Hotel/Shopping

The Sunset Inn isn't in a good location if you want to walk into town for dinner/shopping. It's located in a woodsy area where it gets dark at night. Not even sure there are sidewalks between that hotel and town.

If you're looking for budget minded lodging, then look at Lover's Point Inn or The Centrella Inn. Both are in good locations with easy walks into town for dining or browsing the shops. You can walk to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Cannery Row from these two inns, as well.

There aren't a whole lot of shops in downtown PG these days, but it is a lovely walk up and down Lighthouse Ave and the few shops that are there are kinda funky, especially the one across the street from Pepper's Mexical Cafe on Forest Ave.

The better shopping can be found in Carmel, but tends to be uber expensive there.

Edited: 2:01 pm, March 15, 2013
Augusta, Georgia
2. Re: Pacific Grove Hotel/Shopping

Thanks Kibblesmom! I appreciate the heads up about the Sunset Inn-kinda surprised that it is rated #2 on TA for PG hotels though. I guess location isn't important to everyone but on this trip it is important to us so that we can spend more time exploring on foot & less time driving & finding parking. Husband didn't like the looks of Lover's Point & Centrella didn't have a same room for three nights in a row. How about the Old St. Angela Inn? Any thoughts?

BTW-is Pepper's Mexicali a good casual spot for a meal? And what is the name of the shop across the street? I'm curious now!

Also, does Monterey have a downtown area with shops?

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
3. Re: Pacific Grove Hotel/Shopping

The Old St Angela Inn is a lovely property, but it's on a rather busy street during the day. At night, PG quiets down so not a lot of street noise to deal with while trying to sleep. We like to stay at the Green Gables Inn or Gosby House Inn when we visit Pacific Grove. They're both managed by the same company and we love the staff at both places.

Pepper's Mexicali Cafe is always a must for us. The food is sort of a twist on Tex-Mex, Latin & Mexican rolled together.

I had to Google to find the name of the shop across the street from Pepper's. Never been inside. Just watched from my table inside Pepper's. Can't miss the place, though. It's quite colorful with the exteriors painted a tropical blue, bright orange and yellow.

Here's their website describing what they sell:

http://tessutizoo.com/

Augusta, Georgia
4. Re: Pacific Grove Hotel/Shopping

Well, I checked Gosby House and, like Centrella, it has no 1 room available for the three nights we will be there-don't think we want to move from room to room. Looked at Green Gables & the only room open is one with a shared bath. We are actually staying at the Four Sisters property in Santa Cruz(West Cliff Inn) the two nights prior to this. I know I'm a little late trying to rearrange things but life got in the way for a while. Still, hubby & I are so excited about our upcoming trip! And thanks for the info on the funky shop and on Pepper's-both will be on our list of things to do.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
5. Re: Pacific Grove Hotel/Shopping

Argh!! I feel your frustration. You might try the Martine Inn, which is just down the street from Green Gables. The Best Western Victorian Inn in the Cannery Row area is another good option. The Portola you mentioned earlier is close to Fisherman's Wharf, but kinda a walk to Cannery Row, etc.

It really isn't the end of the world if you keep your rezzies at Sunset Inn. You can easily drive further into PG and park along Ocean View Blvd and walk to the aquarium and Cannery Row along the scenic rec trail. (We always park in front of the Green Gables after check out and access the rec trail for the walk to the aquarium from there. And parking in PG is free!)

You're going to LOVE Pacific Grove. The pink ice plant around Lover's Point should still be in bloom at the time of your visit.

Edited: 5:27 pm, March 15, 2013
reviews: 767
6. Re: Pacific Grove Hotel/Shopping

We were in Moss Landing antique shopping and had lunch at Haute Enchilada yesterday. We did some wine tasting at Ventana Vineyards and then went to Monterey for dinner at "The C" at The Clement which I highly recommend. The Clement is a beautiful contemporary hotel you may want to consider and is just a short walk to the aquarium. Have fun! :).

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 24
7. Re: Pacific Grove Hotel/Shopping

It also isn't the end of the world if you have to move from one room to another within the same inn. I recommend Gosby House. You can't beat the location--almost directly across the street from my favorite restaurant, Red House Cafe, and an easy walk to all the shops, as well as to Lover's Point and the recreation trail. It's worth a visit to the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary, which is off of Lighthouse Ave. about halfway between downtown and Asilomar Blvd (where Sunset Inn is). March is the end of the season, but there may still be butterflies around, and they make a wonderful sight. Regarding shopping, as Kibblesmom said, Carmel has more shopping, but mostly upscale and pricey. Be sure to walk up and down the side streets off of Lighthouse Ave., as there are some small shops there too--especially 17th, Forest Ave., and Grand Ave.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
8. Re: Pacific Grove Hotel/Shopping

PGdenizen said..... "It also isn't the end of the world if you have to move from one room to another within the same inn."......

This is true. And the staff at the inns can move your luggage for you! They've done it for us in the past when we moved rooms.

Augusta, Georgia
9. Re: Pacific Grove Hotel/Shopping

Thanks for all of the advice you guys! I suppose you're right about moving from room to room to room. I would love to stay in another Four Sisters property-can't say enough good things about the folks at the West Cliff Inn with helping to plan the perfect first two nights of our anniversary/birthday getaway. They have been great! I'll certainly look again at the Gosby House.

@syrahgirl-any thoughts on Phil's Fish Market at Moss Landing? It was suggested to me by a friend.

Thanks again for all of your ideas!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
10. Re: Pacific Grove Hotel/Shopping

I second the Old St. Angela Inn. If you are looking for seafood in PG...Passionfish is the way to go.