We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR - 9 Days on the Central Coast, Day 8 - Pacific Grove

Which Pacific Grove hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
TR - 9 Days on the Central Coast, Day 8 - Pacific Grove

Saturday, October 27

Here's a link to this morning's activities in Big Sur:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g240329-i513-k5905…

After our tour of the Point Sur Light Station and our picnic on Garrapata Beach, we drove north to Pacific Grove. We wanted to visit the Point Pinos Lighthouse which was open that afternoon:

http://www.pointpinoslighthouse.org/

Point Pinos Lighthouse was built in 1855 and is the oldest continuously operating lighthouse on the West Coast. The City of Pacific Grove and the Heritage Society have done a fantastic job of preserving and maintaining the building.

One of the lighthouse volunteers told us the butterfly migration had started so we headed there next. Since it was a warm afternoon, there were some Monarchs flying around and some in the trees, most had not arrived yet and the numbers were nothing like they would be in the winter.

We then drove over to Lover's Point Park and walked around on the rocks for a while, trying to spot some sea otters. We saw a few and then decided to drive back around Point Pinos to Asimolar State Beach to catch the sunset.

That night we dined at Rosines in downtown Monterey. This was the Saturday before Halloween and there were a lot of people walking around in costumes on their way to parties I suppose. Many others were jammed into bars watching the Giants win game 3 of the World Series.

I've put more details of this day's travels with a few photos on a blog page that can be found here:

…blogspot.com/2012/11/day-8-point-sur-and-pa…

reviews: 785
1. Re: TR - 9 Days on the Central Coast, Day 8 - Pacific Grove

Thank you for the report, we will have to try Rosine's. :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 24
2. Re: TR - 9 Days on the Central Coast, Day 8 - Pacific Grove

Thank you for your report and the beautiful photos. You did get some of the nicest of our fall weather. The sunshine makes the beauty even more striking, if that's possible! I hope you'll get to come back and see more butterflies. I was there a few weeks ago, and the docent told that there were about 1200 now, but that last Thanksgiving, there were 16,000! I hope it will be the same this year.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
3. Re: TR - 9 Days on the Central Coast, Day 8 - Pacific Grove

syrahgirl - Rosine's was good but it's not very fancy. It's like a really good Marie Callender's type place. It's a family restaurant with emphasis on pies and stuff. We chose it because it was near our motel and because we didn't want to spend a couple hundred dollars dining at Fandango's or Restaurant 1833.

This trip's emphasis was the activities and not high end lodging and dining. Normally, we stay at the Monterey Plaza but we didn't this trip because parking is a hassle there and we were not going to be in our room much.

The only fancy place we stayed on this trip was the Cliffs Resort. All the others were whatever was cheapest on Expedia for the nights we were staying.

Monterey Peninsula...
4. Re: TR - 9 Days on the Central Coast, Day 8 - Pacific Grove

Rosines is a family restaurant with an emphasis on good eatin' over fine dining. Comfort food, nothing fancy. The place has been there for decades, and is very popular with locals.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

5. Re: TR - 9 Days on the Central Coast, Day 8 - Pacific Grove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, February 13, 2014