We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike and pedestrian walkway now open on Bay Bridge.

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, California
reviews: 30
Bike and pedestrian walkway now open on Bay Bridge.

It's not open all the way to Treasure Island yet, but you can now bike or walk part ways on the new span. The bike way is named after someone who actually campaigned to have a bike way built onto the new span. Unlike trying to name the span after someone who tried all his might to prevent the new span from being built, in addition to being from the other side of the bay (end of political rant.).

Unfortunately I don't have directions on how to get on the bike way. I hope someone can give directions here, esp. from BART (is West Oakland the closest BART station?).

(Posted to both SF and Oakland forum.)

1 reply
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
1. Re: Bike and pedestrian walkway now open on Bay Bridge.

I had a chance to ride on the new path on opening day (Tuesday). The access points are at Maritime & Burma in West Oakland and in front of IKEA in Emeryville. The closest BART stations are West Oakland and MacArthur, respectively. The bike ride from MacArthur is more pleasant; the pavement on 7th Street is a complete mess.

Fun fact: The easiest way to get to the trailhead from Oakland is to take the free Emery Go-Round shuttle from MacArthur BART. The bus stops on Shellmound Street at Bay Street, which is one short block north of the IKEA driveway. (If you are walking, definitely take one of the several buses running along Shellmound Street. The walk is far too long from the BART stations.)

Reply to: Bike and pedestrian walkway now open on Bay Bridge.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted