We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to walk down Broadway from 11th to Embarcadero West?

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fresno, California
reviews: 12
Safe to walk down Broadway from 11th to Embarcadero West?

I am attending an East Bay wedding next weekend, but the hotel that the bride and groom have the shuttle running from does not allow dogs. We have booked another hotel that is dog friendly, but I am wondering if it is safe to walk from one hotel to the other (one way will be during daylight, the other after dark). The dogs will not be walking with us.

Looking at a map, we'd be walking down Broadway from Embarcadero West to 11th St in day light and then the reverse after the wedding.

Does anyone have an experience with this area? Google street view makes it look okay but you never know what happens after dark.

Chicago
reviews: 3
1. Re: Safe to walk down Broadway from 11th to Embarcadero West?

Absolutely! I've done this walk lots of times at night. You'll be fine. And fwiw, nearby is Old Oakland which has lots of places to eat or get a drink ... and you won't find many dogs walking with people on Broadway. Have a great trip!

san mateo CA
reviews: 24
2. Re: Safe to walk down Broadway from 11th to Embarcadero West?

You will notice on the way to the hotel on 11th. St. that you will pass under a freeway that at night is a quite dark stretch and somewhat unsettling. You will also notice all the Police cars parked on the north/west side because of your proximity to the Oakland police station. I would suggest that you were safe walking in both directions. I would also suggest that after dark dressed in wedding attire someone may find you a target. I think I might opt for a taxi on the way back to your hotel. Check out the signal lights before you walk to 11th. St. I am not sure you want to walk up the south/east side of Broadway near the overcross because there is a freeway on ramp there and I do not remembe if it is safe to cross on that side.

I would also point out that on the way to 11th you will be walking up Broadway as Embarcadero West is closer to the Bay (I can be picky at times).

Edited: 3:58 am, September 04, 2013
san mateo CA
reviews: 24
3. Re: Safe to walk down Broadway from 11th to Embarcadero West?

Oops, your title is correct the only mistake is in the body of the post, my most humble apologies. I hate the frequency that I have to do that.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
4. Re: Safe to walk down Broadway from 11th to Embarcadero West?

The walk is fine during the day. Most people I know don't like walking under the freeway at night, as it feels somewhat isolated despite the proximity of the police station. Luckily, there is a free, frequent shuttle that runs along Broadway on Friday and Saturday nights, so you don't have to worry about walking back at night. Check it out: http://www.meetdowntownoak.com/shuttle.php

Fresno, California
reviews: 12
5. Re: Safe to walk down Broadway from 11th to Embarcadero West?

Thank you all for your helpful advice. We did the walk on the way there when it was still light outside and I never once felt uncomfortable. People asked us for money and there were a few people asleep in little alcoves and whatnot, but even going under the freeway was perfectly fine.

On the way back we got lucky and the shuttle driver made a little detour to drop us off right at our hotel so we didn't have to worry about the nighttime walking, but if that hadn't happened I think I would have taken a cab, just the whole walking down the street in a cocktail dress and suit at midnight while being slightly inebriated (shout out to Rock Wall Wine Company) didn't appeal to me.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
6. Re: Safe to walk down Broadway from 11th to Embarcadero West?

I'm glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the follow-up!

7. Re: Safe to walk down Broadway from 11th to Embarcadero West?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 12, 2014