We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Safety and how long via Bart to San Francisco??

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 115
Downtown Safety and how long via Bart to San Francisco??

I am coming to San Francisco this august and due to the hotels being sooo expensive i booked the Marriott in downtown Oakland. How safe is the area? I honesty plan on going from the hotel straight to the Bart station across the street with no intentions of exploring the area. being that i'm going with my brother we could be coming back late at night. Also how long does it take to get to San Francisco city center via the Bart from where im staying?

13 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: Downtown Safety and how long via Bart to San Francisco??

www.bart.gov is an excellent place to look at schedules. The ride from downtown is 10+ minutes.

There is no "SF City Center" station but likely you'll be using "Powell St." but if you're in the Mission (16th or 24th Sts) the ride will be longer.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
2. Re: Downtown Safety and how long via Bart to San Francisco??

You are worried about downtown Oakland Safety ? really. There are plenty of restaurants and bars in that area and in parts of the Temescal and Rockridge parts of Oakland that are fine. There is really no need to just walk from the Marriott to the BART station. During the day if you have time check Lake Merritt out in Oakland as well.

I am not suggesting you don't spend your time in SF -- there is a lot to do and see here but don't just ignore Oakland

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
3. Re: Downtown Safety and how long via Bart to San Francisco??

To be honest, belo, I'm not familiar with Oakland either and wouldn't be wandering around on my own -- at least at night. And Rockridge isn't near downtown.

I don't think the OP -- even though male and travelling with a friend -- has any reason to feel slighted for asking. IMO Oakland is a failed state and things are getting nothing but worse. (Regardless what the one or two Oakland apologists here say.)

I'm on call for Federal Jury Duty in a couple of weeks in Oakland and I'm not looking forward to the experience.

Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
4. Re: Downtown Safety and how long via Bart to San Francisco??

I have to agree with Sal partially on that one. We are talking about the Marriott on Broadway right? It is not near Lake Merritt; more like next to Frank Ogawa Plaza which unfortunately has been in the news a lot lately. I go to Oakland Chinatown nearby and I feel safe during the day and even at night IN Chinatown. But I don't park or wander outside those area after dark. It is analogous to certain parts of Market in SF at night.

OP - use your common sense as you would in any big city. You will see the same unsavory elements on Market St in SF when boarding BART as you will as you exit on Broadway in Oakland. Are you certain you have exhausted all your SF budget lodging options? Have you checked out all the recs on the SF FAQs?

I have many family members who lived or still currently live in various parts of Oakland. Some have moved and other are in the process of moving due to safety issues for themselves and their kids.

Edited: 8:46 pm, July 23, 2013
Dublin, California
reviews: 30
5. Re: Downtown Safety and how long via Bart to San Francisco??

Your bigger issue may be that BART may go on strike in a couple of weeks. Then how are you going to SF?

reviews: 19
6. Re: Downtown Safety and how long via Bart to San Francisco??

You should be ok going between the BART station and the Marriott. Check the BART schedule to be sure you don't miss the last train in the evening.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
7. Re: Downtown Safety and how long via Bart to San Francisco??

Always some amusing comments about Oakland on here. I guess people are free to think what they want! Helps keep the rents lower for my friends since we all know that Oakland's non-political problems are segregated to just a few parts of town--and are no worse than the bad neighborhoods one finds in San Francisco.

Anyway, both of the Marriott properties in downtown Oakland are right by 12th Street BART. Just a couple blocks over is Old Oakland. It's a beautiful neighborhood with lively bars and restaurants. You should make it a point to check out the Trappist, District Oakland, and any number of other destinations around there. They would make for a perfect stop on your way back from SF after a day of sightseeing.

P.S. Yes, I would avoid Frank Ogawa Plaza. But I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's not on the way to the BART station, nor is it on the way to Old Oakland, Chinatown, or Uptown.

Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
8. Re: Downtown Safety and how long via Bart to San Francisco??

Thanks dav for the deets. I was not speaking as an expert, just my limited experience. My extended family live in the Fruitvale area with some closer to International Blvd than others. The real 'hood- and nowhere that a typical tourist would go. At least 5 females have been mugged in broad daylight. One was pregnant at the time and this was in front of her home. Asian females are targeted because they usually have precious jewelry and cash on their persons.

Glad to hear OP will be safe. I did qualify my response with it being no different than parts of SF.

Edited: 7:53 pm, July 24, 2013
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
9. Re: Downtown Safety and how long via Bart to San Francisco??

No worries, I think you made reasonable statements. Fruitvale has hit some tough times lately, and it's a real shame. I used to be perfectly comfortable walking around there (during daylight hours) but there have been too many serious crimes there to warrant any return visits. Some of the seedy element in East Oakland has filtered into the neighborhood due to its proximity, and Oakland leadership seems unwilling to do anything about it. Hopefully one day city politics improves enough that the PD can be allowed to properly do its job...

san mateo CA
reviews: 23
10. Re: Downtown Safety and how long via Bart to San Francisco??

Just a small point. Rockridge BART is only 3 stops away from 12th street and is in the middle of a lively and fun neighborhood.

The Marriot is in close proximity to both Old Oakland and Chinatown which have multiple restaurants and other things to do. It is a bit of a walk to Heinhold's but is a short cab ride.

As others have noted the OP should not have to much to worry about. I suggest a visit to De Lauer's. I bought many a Sci-Fi magazine there when I lived just off of Peidmont in the early 70's.

Reply to: Downtown Safety and how long via Bart to San Francisco??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted