We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice area outside of Oakland Airport for last night in CA?

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 30
Nice area outside of Oakland Airport for last night in CA?

Hello. We are spending a couple of nights in the Carmel/Moneterey peninsula and have almost a full day to return to the Oakland Airport for our 7:00 p.m. flight home at the end of July. Based on traffic from Monterey, would we be better off staying our last evening closer to Oakland Airport? If so, is there an area that you would recommend booking a hotel that has some fun activity nearby (beach, Redwoods, wine etc?) for us to do on our last day before heading to the airport?

Thanks.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
1. Re: Nice area outside of Oakland Airport for last night in CA?

For a 7PM flight? No, I don't think the area around Oakland airport offers much of anything.

Just plan on leaving Monterey in time for your flight. Probably about 2-3PM depending on whether you're checking bags.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
2. Re: Nice area outside of Oakland Airport for last night in CA?

There is no "nice place" right around the Oakland Airport - there's a bay and some business hotels, and then there's Oakland or Berkeley, neither of which have much in the way of beaches or redwoods. RamblinSal is right.

Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
3. Re: Nice area outside of Oakland Airport for last night in CA?

Just leave Monterey early enough. If you had an early flight like 6am then it's different. There are safe enough places I can recommend but you don't need to stay that close.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
4. Re: Nice area outside of Oakland Airport for last night in CA?

Rush hour traffic can be bad between San Jose and Oakland, but there is a carpool lane starting at 3 PM, so I wouldn't worry about it. Leave Monterey by 2:30 PM and you will get to the airport car rental office by 5:00, which leaves you more than enough time to drop off a car and go through security. If you are concerned about unexpected traffic problems, listen to 106.9 FM for traffic reports on the 8s.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 737
5. Re: Nice area outside of Oakland Airport for last night in CA?

If you want a place closer to Oakland, then the Claremont Resort in the Oakland Hills is historic hotel, but could make for a nice last night stay with nice views. Its shorter than driving all the way from Monterey =- and yes san Jose to Oakland traffic is horrendous. The people you have heard for so far are good experts but do not do the drive from Monterey. There is NO WAY you can leave Monterey at 2:30 and be at Oakland at 5:00 - sometimes even with the commute lanes it can be 4 plus hours.

http://www.claremontresort.com/

Other nice place would be to stay at a hotel by the water way such as

http://www.executiveinnoakland.com/

Santa Clara...
6. Re: Nice area outside of Oakland Airport for last night in CA?

I agree with mimi's time estimates. The 880 north is a bear so do plan accordingly if you are staying in Monterey.

Alameda would be another close by area to stay. This seems to get good reviews... tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29073-d1146653… It is not walking distance of the restaraunt areas but a short drive away.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
7. Re: Nice area outside of Oakland Airport for last night in CA?

OP is traveling during the middle of the day (on a weekday?). It's never taken me more than 2.5 hours from Berkeley under normal traffic conditions, and Berkeley is 20 minutes further north than OAK... Yes, it can theoretically take up to 4 hours during rush hour, but even then that's only if traffic is much heavier than usual and you aren't using the carpool lanes. Even if you double Google's driving time estimate, it's still under 4 hours...

Boston...
reviews: 30
8. Re: Nice area outside of Oakland Airport for last night in CA?

Thank you all for your expert advice. If we decide to drive from Monterey, then I think we'll just get on the road by noon-1:00 and it sounds like we should make our flight all right. Thanks also for the hotel suggestions.

Reston, Virginia
reviews: 23
9. Re: Nice area outside of Oakland Airport for last night in CA?

I got spooked by the traffic from the airport to San Rafael on to US 101 North. Using Hertz Rental Car instructions and maps, while driving alone, its a wonder some 18 wheeler didn't flatten me as he roared by at 70 mph. Now, going back in, I'm trying to find a different route into the airport, if I come down from the north on I-5. I might also stay at an airport hotel by arriving a day early. Any suggestions on an approach to the airport? Thank you.

Santa Clara...
10. Re: Nice area outside of Oakland Airport for last night in CA?

twogun- you should probably start your own thread unless you are also asking about from Monterey to Oakland airport. It is a bit unclear.