We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Cars at the Oakland Airport

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Rental Cars at the Oakland Airport

I'm staying in San Francisco for a couple of days and will be driving up to Tahoe. I found the best deal for a car rental at the Oakland airport. I plan to take the BART there to pick it up. This would be on a Friday. I thought I'd go back into SF and pick up the wife and kid, saving her the trouble of dragging luggage on the BART. But I can't pick up the car till 4 PM so I fear the traffic will be a nightmare over the Bay Bridge. We're staying at the Parc55. I'm thinking lug the luggage...Any comments?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Rental Cars at the Oakland Airport

I agree BART will also be crowded but it would be better than driving back from OAK to SF and then going across the bridge again to Tahoe

Are you not finding any deals with coupons in Union Sq or Fisherman's wharf ?

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
2. Re: Rental Cars at the Oakland Airport

Well, your child would really enjoy the ride on BART. Your hotel is so close to Bart that rolling suitcases down there wouldn't be bad, and getting down the escalator ok too. You can't have THAT much luggage, can you. Child can roll bag too, and feel like a real world traveler.

Then take the AirBart bus to the airport, and rental car bus to rental.

You do want to get away to Tahoe sooner rather than later on Fridays! Be prepared for commute traffic through Sacramento.

La Jolla, California
reviews: 62
3. Re: Rental Cars at the Oakland Airport

This sounds like a nightmare. I'd look for a more convenient solution. Leaving Oakland to go to the city to leave to tahoe...dont recommend on a friday afternoon at 4pm.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 46
4. Re: Rental Cars at the Oakland Airport

You're right, lug the luggage is the best solution.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
5. Re: Rental Cars at the Oakland Airport

Lug the luggage.

Or, alternatively, take Megabus to Sacramento or Reno and pick up a car there.

http://us.megabus.com

6. Re: Rental Cars at the Oakland Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 16, 2014