We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Oakland would like to tour San F.

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton
reviews: 1
Stay in Oakland would like to tour San F.

We will be in this area in September without a vehicle. We would like to stay in Oakland but would also like to do San Fransisco tours ( Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf and wine tour). We will also be flying out San F. airport. Is it feasible and convenient to stay in Oakland? Is there public transportation available to where we need to go to do these tours? Can you suggest hotels ( in $150 range) that would be convenient to do this. Thanks in advance for any information. Would like to stay in Oakland as hotels in San Fran. for the weekend of September 21st seem to be booked or beyond my budget

7 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 109
1. Re: Stay in Oakland would like to tour San F.

You can look at downtown Oakland hotels or those in Emeryville or Berkeley but also the budget hotels list in the SF forum

If all you are doing is Alcatraz and FW, one day is fine via BART from Oakland. There are no wineries in sf but napa or sonoma as far as tours go, don't know of ones starting from Oakland but you can google that or use the SF TQ tour list to find one.

Edited: 3:53 pm, July 12, 2013
California
reviews: 12
2. Re: Stay in Oakland would like to tour San F.

Factor into your lodging budget the additional transportation costs you will incur getting from Oakland to SF.

Edmonton
3. Re: Stay in Oakland would like to tour San F.

I realize this, but I am not sure what is happening in SF that weekend. Hotels with rates $150-250 normally have rate around $400-$500 for that weekend. I think I picked the wrong weekend to visit SF. May have to change my timing.

Dublin, California
reviews: 27
4. Re: Stay in Oakland would like to tour San F.

If you go to the SF forum, there is an item on the right side of the page under budget hotels. Check that out and see if anything fits your budget.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 109
5. Re: Stay in Oakland would like to tour San F.

Well portal.sanfrancisco.travel/calendar_public/ has info on the events in SF that hike prices for hotels. Oracle world is on when you come and that brings in many DBAs and App programmers and people who pretend to be interested in Software -- coming to SF for a good paid vacation. ;-)

If you can adjust your vacation, that is an option.

Edited: 5:23 pm, July 12, 2013
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
6. Re: Stay in Oakland would like to tour San F.

Your visit to San Francisco coincides with Oracle Open World, which is the single biggest event in the City that makes hotels unaffordable. If you cannot find any acceptable cheap hotel options using the guide on the SF forum, you should either reschedule your visit for another weekend or book carefully outside of the City.

There are several hotels in the East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, etc.) that you can stay at, and public transit between the East Bay and SF is very good. However, it is a bit of a distance and you will have to plan accordingly. Besides the cost of BART or AC Transit, you will have to factor in the inconvenience of not being able to return to your hotel at any point during the day. I know I stop at my hotel at least once a day when I travel, which is why I never stay in the suburbs!

Additional tip: Before throwing in the towel, check websites like VRBO and AirBNB to see if you can find an affordable private rental in SF. The folks on the SF forum will be happy to help you narrow down your choices once you have done some research.

Edmonton
7. Re: Stay in Oakland would like to tour San F.

Thanks so much Belomiser, I had done a lot of research and could not understand the 3X rate increase for that weekend. May not be able to adjust my vacation dates, may have to adjust destination as I refuse to pay $500/ nite for budget accomodation

Reply to: Stay in Oakland would like to tour San F.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted