We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woodhaven, Michigan
Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK

I am hoping not to rent a car since it seems there is so much public transit. My problem is my flight leaves OAK at 6AM and the Bart isn't running that early. What would be a good option? It will be my son and I.

4 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK

shuttle or cab. www.supershuttle.com

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
2. Re: Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK

The OAK airport website has a list of limo and shuttle services available to you: http://www.flyoakland.com/shuttles.shtml

Alternatively, you can simply arrange a taxi pick-up with your hotel. The cost for 2 people will be similar enough with any non-BART option.

Note that OAK is a smaller, friendlier airport than SFO, so you do not need to get to the airport too early. It sounds like you are traveling on a Saturday or Sunday, since the first weekday BART train connects to the AirBART shuttle in time to meet 6 AM flight departures, so keep in mind that baggage and security lines will be short.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
3. Re: Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK

friendlier airport ?

Smaller? yes, fewer flights ? yes

But friendlier ? More smiling TSA agents, -- United which has the slogan -- come fly the friendly skies is no longer at OAK. I did not understand what they meant then and I don't understand what a friendly airport means

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 59
4. Re: Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK

I've always had a good experience with the ground staff at OAK. The ground staff at SFO seems a little more disheveled, which I will blame on the hectic nature of the airport. As for United, I think it's a contract provision that all employees must be unhappy at all times. One of the worst airlines I've had the pleasure of doing business with.

Reply to: Staying in San Fran but flying out of OAK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted