We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car on priceline for Oakland

Which Oakland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington State
reviews: 61
Rental car on priceline for Oakland

I did a search, all of the topics for rental cars for Oakland are pretty old. Has anyone had experience bidding on a rental car through priceline at OAK? I've been bidding regularly for a month now, and the trip is coming up. Two things: I'm afraid I'll get Advantage, with horrible reviews of bad experiences, and I am up to 17.00 a day bidding with no luck.

Is it unusually high to rent a car from OAK area? What were some of your wins, if you care to share them? None of the bidding forums are giving recent posts either about wins. I've also tried contacting the rental car agencies directly but their prices are horribly high for even an economy car. I'm afraid my whole wedding budget will be knocked out of whack with just renting a car. Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Rental car on priceline for Oakland

where are you going? Why not look for a car off airport ? I presume you have used all the possible coupons out there to get the best rate. Are you saying that betterbidding etc don't have info ? Prices vary so I am not sure how you can compare other deals

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 44
2. Re: Rental car on priceline for Oakland

With Priceline, regardless of price, you "risk" getting Advantage, as there is no way to know which company you'll get. If you don't want to risk that, then you'll have to try another route to book.

I just did a quick search on Travelocity and see rates from $35 (Fox) to $46 a day (pretty typical in this area)... I wonder if there's a "rule of thumb" of what type of discount you can expect, considering it's high season. Maybe 25%?

And I see from a previous post that you are heading down toward Pacific Grove, so a car will be a necessity.

Edited: 2:25 pm, July 07, 2013
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
3. Re: Rental car on priceline for Oakland

Usually to get an idea of Priceline bids I look on Hotwire at their listed prices and then bid 15% lower on Priceline. I didn't know that Priceline used Advantage?? I thought they only used the big name companies and I don't put Advantage into that category. IF that is true then I wouldn't use Priceline any more!

I have done it successfully but not in several years. The law of supply and demand always applies to prices so what I bid then and what you can bid now are not related!

California
reviews: 1
4. Re: Rental car on priceline for Oakland

I have noticed that the rental car rates are incredibly high right now. I booked my rental car at Oakland through Costco. The lowest was Budget. It's 188.71 with tax for 3 days (midsize car). In January I paid about $40 less.

Washington State
reviews: 61
5. Re: Rental car on priceline for Oakland

so I was told Priceline uses Advantage now, but it doesn't appear so on the bidding page. I took screen prints and if I get Advantage, I'll be yelling. I've bid up to 21.00 with no luck for an Economy car, I'm running out of days. I'll try Costco but I think my membership is about to expire and I had no plans to renew since it went up to 75.00 a year~ Maybe I should reconsider.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
reviews: 60
6. Re: Rental car on priceline for Oakland

Compare prices on Hotwire before bidding on Priceline. Also consider off-site rentals to save some money. It is news to me if Priceline now includes Advantage, as I would no longer bid for cars (my preferred method of rental) if that were the case.

7. Re: Rental car on priceline for Oakland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 14, 2014